Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mickey71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Jewelry consignment--they sold it but haven't given me the money!
    Hi,
    I placed two pieces of jewelry with a consignment jeweler in August. He sold the two pieces right before Christmas '05 and to this day he still hasn't given me the $5000.00 he owes me. He claims someone else gave him a bogus credit card (for a different sale) for which he has gotten a huge chargeback on his account and he claims he doesn't have the money. He tells me every week, "next week". This is ridiculous! What can I do? I'm still waiting for a copy of the receipt which shows that he sold the jewelry. I do have the receipt I got when I dropped it off.

Do I have legal recourse? I've heard small claims court only goes up to $2000.00- is there anything I can do without having to spend a lot of money on lawyer fees? Is my case good enough so that I don't even need a lawyer?

Thanks!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Demand in writing
    Put you demand for payment in writing, certified mail will 20 days to pay. You can probably go to small claim court for this. By putting it in writing he will understand what will be next.

Just my thoughts

Jan 26, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Thanks for replying. I called him today and asked for a faxed letter stating that he had sold the jewelry and that he did indeed owe me $5000.00. He did fax it to me and he signed it. I hope I got through to him, as I have been trying to be nice up until this point. I told him that I have been documenting everything and that if I don't get the money soon I will have to call a lawyer.

I was under the impression that small claims court only handled claims up to $2000.00. Do you think I would be able to go to small claims court with this?

I was hoping to avoid having to hire a lawyer... with all the fees I would have to pay it would kind of defeat the purpose- what do you think?

Thanks so much again!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Call court
    Call your court ask them the limits?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Where do you live? Some states/provinces go up to $10,000
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 05:17 PM
    Small claims
    Small claims varies from state to state, and county to county

Plus if you have to sue him in regular court, you can include the legal fees in what you sue him for. I would move fast, if he planned on paying you he would have, most likely he is planning on not paying somehow.
    If he would go bankrupt for example you would just be out your money

Jan 27, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Thank you all for your advice! You've been very helpful!
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jan 27, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Even if the limit in small claims is $2,000, you could always file a claim for each piece, it is a very common practice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beachstone jewelry [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for someone who can create some casual jewelry from beachstone I have. My current issue is that most jewelry drilling tools are not able to drill stone of this composition. I know the stones could be wrapped but I am thinking of configurations which would require drilling. Does...

Jewelry Making [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good books that will assist me in learning jewelry making?

Sold Debt [ 1 Answers ]

If a company that I owed a debt to sells it to another company or collection agency does the Statute of Limitations start over? If the debt is sold and the new company puts it on my credit report will that stay on my report for another 7 years? Thanks for any imput.

View more questions Search