Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tpappwill Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Smelly Bathroom
    Hi, I have been leaving with a nasty sewage smell in my bathroom for the past two weeks. It is a smell isolated to my master bathroom, but that is so strong it will move the smell to my bedroom and at certain times of the night, my family room. The second bathroom is fine.

When it first happened I told husband that I thought the toilet was gassing, (we are on septic) he stuck his nose by the base of the toilet and stated that the stench was not coming from there and that he thought it was a dead animal. After a week he stated that he thought we should call a plumber. The plumber said he didn't think it was the toilet but the tub, he replaced all of the scooter(?) vents in the double sinks and the tub. He snaked out the tub drain and went under the house (mobile home,bought in 2004) and found nothing. When he left the smell was still present but he said it would clear up. It didn't!

Since we have now been living with it for so long we have noticed some other characteristics, we have noticed that it may be coming from the shower and did the whole bleach over night with boiled pots of water in the morning to both the shower and the tub. It seemed to clear up for a few hours, but then came back with a vengeance especially at night. After dark the smell is horrendous (not that it's particularly pleasant in the daytime! I haven't slept in my bedroom for two weeks. We have not had the septic tank pumped since moving in, can this be the problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Some older septic systems are a closed system and they need to vent back into the home vent stack. You could have a bad wax ring on the toilet but the plumber should have checked that out, did he? You could also have a bad vent stack in your mobile home. It may have cracked or the PVC wled may be broken. I recommend pumping a septic tank when you buy a home and then maybe every 10 years depending on usage.

Feb 26, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Thanks for the response! Home and septic tank was brand new when we moved in around 2004 and haven't had it pumped. No the plumber did not check the ring because he stated that he didn't think the smell was coming from the toilet.

Feb 26, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Odors can be really deceiving, seems like they come from nowhere. If he said it was not coming from the toilet then did he say where is was coming from, probably not so that means he really doesn't know. Has anyone who is knowledgeable said for sure it is sewer gas. I recall someone thought a dead animal so is it FOR SURE sewer gas?

Feb 26, 2008, 05:59 PM
    When the plumber came to the house and changed the vents, he stated that he believed that those areas are where he believed the smell was coming from. He stated that the vents stopped the gases from coming into the house :confused: . He is supposedly coming to the house tomorrow to change the shower vent because he believes that may be the problem. I HOPE... I will keep you informed! And thanks so much for all of your help!! :)

Feb 26, 2008, 06:12 PM
    A vent is basically an open pipe that reaches up through the roof to outside air, it also reaches down and is connected to the drain pipe to releave and air that builds up when wtare rushes into the drain. The vent pipe has sewer gas in it 24/7/365 so if its cracked or anything it will leak gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smelly odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a smelly bathroom that just started several days ago. It seems to go away at night but comes back during the day. We had the septic tank cleaned out but it was found not to be at normal levels. It also didn't solve the problem. The service man suggested that the smell could be because...

Smelly Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Our six year old basement bathroom, consisting of one sink, one toilet, and one shower has a continual sewer smell. It is especially strong in the summer and especially at the shower. This bathroom is not used much, mostly on the weekends. We have tried deodorizers which seem to help...

Smelly bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Our downstairs bathroom has a awful smell coming from it. The smell doesn't exist in any of the upstair bathrooms. Our house is under 2 years old. The wax seal been replaced under the toilet and yet the smell still exists. Any other ideas what may be causing this odor?

Smelly bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I keep my bathroom extremely clean. It's a full bath, regular size with bathtub. I clean everyday and I am the only user. However, about a month ago until now, I smell urine from the toilet area, every time I enter the bathroom. Each time I use, I clean with Clorox again, and the next time I enter...

View more questions Search