Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spinsv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 09:18 PM
    "UN-crate" training for my Lab
    Our lab is now 10 months old and we successfully used crate training with her. (thanks, in part to the information found here!). Where can I find information about when and how to wean her off her crate? Both at night and during the day? At what age can we begin to leave her out of her crate at nighttime? Any and all suggestions and past experience are welcome.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 09:26 PM
    You could try to leave the door open at night on the crate so she has the option of going in if she wants to. She might find it comfortable like a den...

Depending on how much chewing she might do... you might have different experiences... my dog loves to chew papers, electric cords, and other things even if I am in the room with her, and seems happy in the crate...

Hope that helps, and I will post my own thread about my dog so as not to take over yours.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Why do you think you have to wean her off her crate? A crate is like a mini home to a dog, her cave, her private space, her refuge. At night, let her have her crate but leave the door open so she can come and go and just curl up inside to relax or to nap. Same for the daytime.

I'm a cat person, have never had a dog. The above paragraph is what I've learned from reading dog posts by labman and RubyPitBull. I hope one of them will make suggestions and correct me if I'm wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

"what's the big deal?" about using the words "pimped out" in reference to Chelsea? [ 11 Answers ]

Some people don’t seem to think it is a big deal. Clinton Calls Shuster Comment Part of 'Troubling Pattern' | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Need suggestions for a "branding" training session [ 1 Answers ]

Hello gang, I just was informed that I have to give a half hour training session on branding. What it is, why it is important, etc. I wanted to include the names of companies whose name has absolutely nothing to do with their product, i.e. if you didn't already know what they were you wouldn't...

Crate training my lab pup? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can any one help , I don't have my puppy yet , I get him in 4 days and I intend on crate training him but I've looked up advise on this and I'm very confused. I've been advised to lock my puppy I his crate overnight and when I'm out after taking steps to introduce him to it and get used to it...

Dog who is "use" to peeing in crate [ 2 Answers ]

I just got my 1year old dash hound from a shelter. I assume he was always in a crate because it does not bother him to sleep and pee in his crate. He is use to the pee in his crate. What do I do?

Crate training a chocolate lab [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop my 6 month old chocolate lab from doing his business in his crate. We leave him in his crate from 7am-3pm while we are at work and school. Every day we come home to a messy dog. I've tried everything that I can think of to correct this problem by feeding in the crate, different toys...

View more questions Search