Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T-Bag Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Feb 25, 2008, 06:58 PM
    I am struggling to accomplish my scholastic goals and satisfy my dad.
    All right, so I started high school this year. I used to love my middle school I had a lot of friends and stuff. However, I got into a specialized public high school (the 5th best school in th e country) and its really competitive there. A lot of people from there go on to Harvard and Columbia and other ivy league schools. Also, people there are snobs and un-friendly bastards. I no longer have any friends and have lost the ability to make any by attending a school of anti-social fagots. I am having a lot of trouble in academic areas too. I mean I'm probably a little smarter than the average person but not smart enough for this crap school. My dad always goes on about how he left his life in his country to come to America so I can get an education and go to Harvard.. blah blah blah... You know how it is. My dad does do a lot for me and he gave up his life to come to America. The least I can do for him is get into an ivy league college but that's impossible for me. I'm not that great of a student and its crazy hard to get in (however my dad doesn't understand that and he never will). There's no point talking to him because he is a first generation immigrant... so what do I do? I study my off and fail my off (although a 85 in that school is a 95 anywhere else) yet I just can't match up to the other geeks. I want my dad to be happy, he deserves that much, but I just can't do it... what can I do?
    lengkyx Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Feb 25, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Hi. It's normal to doubt your own potentials. But sometimes, you just have to assess what you have accomplished so far and start from there baby. It's a new school so it's not unusual to feel out of place. People tend to be snob sometimes. It doesn't mean they're cruel or would really look down on you. Just think of that school as YOUR school, too. It doesn't matter if your classmates were born there. What's important is that you're there and you have all the right to be. Your father is a very good role model. He took a risk and went beyond the border for your future. You should do the same. Get out of your shell. You can do it. Have faith in yourself and in other people. I assure you they can't be that bad. They might even help you out with your adjustments.
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Feb 26, 2008, 12:13 AM
    I think in time you will find friends, and your grades will pick up
    But look at it this way, if you study hard now and get into a good college then chances are you'll have a better job and what not than if you went to a bad school and bad college.

You are living YOUR life, not your fathers. He has done a fantastic thing by getting you to america and giving you every opportunity to do well. Its now up to you to decide if you want to do well for yourself, for your father, or not at all.

Just because other kids are getting better grades than you doesn't mean you won't make it. Stay strong and do your absolute best. That's all you can give and all your dad can ask.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Feb 26, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Hi T-Bag
    Where's your dad from? It's all well and good to say he's done this too you, but he can't try to make you live his dream for him. It's unrealistic.
    The best you can do is try. Put in the time and effort and hope everything works out. You might be competing with the pro league, but that doesn't mean you'll fail. Just because you don't make the best of the best doesn't mean you're not good.
    And attitude can go a long way with your school life. I know what high school kids are like... if you don't make friends in the first week, it's harder to make them. But not impossible. Just keep trying. Talk to people. Give them a chance. Sign up for a sporting team, or whatever you're into, just to be around people who have similar interests.

Have you thought much about what you want in life? It's all well and good for your dad to want you to go to an Ivy League school, but if your life's ambition is to be a plumber, that's hardly a useful place to be. Just be honest with him. And as for school, tell him you'll try, and you can't do anything more.

Good luck,

Kal
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 12:46 AM
    Let me guess... you're asian.

Been there. Done that.

As far as you doing things to make your parents happy... this may work for a while, but in the end, you'll end up being miserable. Really. Try to find a happy medium.

Luckily, my parents wanted me to go to med school, and I've wanted to be a surgeon since I was 12.. so that worked out for me pretty well.

But eventually, your parents will mellow out to a certain degree and they'll slowly care more about your happiness. As of right now, they're just getting you into the groove of studying and working hard so that you're "geared" for success.

Good luck out there. Make the best of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't satisfy boyfriend [ 7 Answers ]

Well, first of all, I would like to thank you for reading my post and giving me some advise on this matter. My problem is, I have a boyfriend of 4 yrs. We love each other very much. The thing is, we'd only have sex once a month or so though we're staying together. He claims that his tired most...

Why somebody cannot accomplish their aim? [ 7 Answers ]

Recently I am think about this question : why somebody cannot accomplish their aim? What do you say ?

What Did Cain seek to Accomplish? [ 18 Answers ]

I really can't pin down what Cain felt he was accomplishing by killing Abel. God had rejected his sacrifice and Cain was angered. Killing Abel would not change that rejection into acceptance. In fact it would obviously increase the rejection since he was warned before he killed Cain to change his...

Goals [ 3 Answers ]

What are some goals that you would want to achieve in baskteball?

View more questions Search