Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azhuettl Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 04:51 PM
    how to find shower leak on slab foundation
    I have a leak from my shower. The water appears to seep from wall at baseboards into bedroom closet. How can I find and repair? Home built in 1996. Is that type of shower/tub built on a base of 2x4's or is it set right on the slab foundation. I am thinking I could cut access hole in closet wall to look if the tub is up off floor. Or can I see the drain if I cut access hole in family room wall directly behind shower faucets? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Hi AZ... Is this a tub and shower... or just a shower?

If tub and shower... does this leak appear after shower.. or after tub... or both? Get back to us with answers.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 26, 2008, 07:04 AM
    I'm going to assume that you have a custom tile shower and not a tub and shower combo. On a slab house we leave a shower dap-out in the slab for a shower. I think you'll find your leak i9f the tile grout and not in the drain. Notice where the shower stream hits the tile wall as your showering. Over time tile grout can shrink allowing to run down the wall and out on the floor.
    Before you tear up anything regrout the tiles and then check for leaks.

Now I'm assuming you have a tub and shower combo. We set our tubs on the floor and we always leave a access panel directly behind the tub waste. If you do not have one the cut a 12 X12 square and check out the trap and waste assembly. If you don't see a drainage leak then focus on the tile grout. Good luck, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Pull escheons and trim away from valve and shower arm, with flashlight look in to see if signs of water leaking in these areas. Tempoarily block drain, fill pan with bucket, wait, then release drain to see if pan or drain is leaking. If no signs of leak start looking for missing or cracked grout.

Feb 26, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Hi again. Did not realize this would be such a great resource and so quick! I should have taken more time on compossing the question. Now I will.
    I am also posting a picture (hope it works). This house was built in 1996 and is a slab in Arizona. The water appears to come from the back (long) wall wich is a walk in closet. The water appears to be coming out at the baseboards and the wall does not look wet. There is no noticeable wetness in the room outside the short wall (faucet wall).The renter says they stopped taking baths and with only showers it appears to still be wet. I am ruling out a supply leak as I think there would be more water with a constant leak. I figure it must be a drain leak or shower arm leak. If I want to cut an access hole to inspect, where should I cut. The back (long) wall or the wall behind the water controls and shower head. With a slab foundation is it even possible to view the drain and inspect for leaks without removing the tub. Also, while I have you reading, the renter claims to run out of hot water too quickly and thinks I need a new water heater. The water heater is gas and she gets water that is plenty hot, just claims to run out. I was told by local store that if the water is hot, then there is really nothing else that can be wrong with a gas heater as there is no core? The heater is not leaking anywhere. Thanks in advance for all help.
    I am handy but have no past plumbing experience, looks like I will get it now though..
    Attached Images

Feb 27, 2008, 08:41 AM
    HI,
    I need to tear into the project this weekend. Any help/suggestions are appreceiated.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Hi AZ... start by removing the tub/shower valve faceplate... remove handle, then remove face plate and then run shower. With a flashlight... look inside.. up/down... everywhere you can. If leak's at shower arm behind wall.. should be dripping onto the valve right in front of you. If leaking at the valve.. should also be obvious. Chech at the diverter tub spout as well (unless shower diverter in on shower valve.. then check there)... sometimes leaks inside the tub spout shell and leaks back into wall where can't be seen out front.

Then, with the tub/shower unit you have, if opening face plate did not show the leak... I would open the wall behind the shower valve at the floor level up to about 18 inches off floor (you have a 1 piece tub/shower there... unless a hole somewhere... problem is over by the valve/waste lines). This way can see entire tub drain and all pipes associated with the job. Try the faceplate first.. let us know what you find.

Just reread post... the guy at hardware store is wrong... if a water heater is getting really hot water, but runs out way too quick then it is time to change the GAS VALVE to the heater. NOT a tough job... but need some good skills and good common sense as this involves shutting off gas to heater and loosening a union fitting... so be sure you are confident with skills before tackling this one by yourself.

If this helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

Feb 27, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Well with a one piece tub and shower you are pretty limited as to where you can have a leak.
    Assuming no cracks or damage . That is a one piece isn't it? Only place I can see any potential for leaking is the bar or handle. Because water is coming out along the back wall baseboard does not neccarily bean that's where the leak is located. Pull the escheon around the shower arm away from the wall and look for leak. Remove Knob and trim plate and look around valve for signs of leak. Finally run water in tub, let it sit for a while to check for leak around tub flange. Let drain to check for leaks in pipe.

Where is shower door or curtian?

On water heater
    Mark what about dip tube?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Hi Harold... you know it could be the dip tube, too... I suppose... but I think it would be a more dramatic issue with almost no hot water coming out of heater at all (cold would just feed up and out the hot water outlet almost instantly).

Let's see if Mr. AZ can give more information on that.

Mr. AZ... does hot water last 5 minutes... 10 minutes... 15 minnutes... less? Is temp. very hot, scalding... warm? Let us know so can best advise you.

ALso, AZ, add a clear midewproof silicone around the grab bar if not sealed super well... cannot hurt anything... but I think leak will be over by the drain/shower valve. Let us know.

Feb 27, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Hi I will start with pulling the trim away from faucet and arm to check there. If no leak spotted then I guess need to cut wall behind faucet area and try filling the tub to look for leaks. Then drain and check? Never thought about the handle, will check that too. It does appear to be a one piece molded or whatever they do and I have not noticed any cracks. No shower curtain in picture as it was taken before renter moved in.

Water heater:
    Renter claims about one shower worth of hot water, long . Short . Not sure. Can check with her later. The water temp is set hot and starts very hot.
    I am putting pics on, wondering wich is the gas valve that would need replacing; red handle, copper in back, or yellow line attacment? Pictures are my current house not the one in question. Both are gas though.

I will be out of town with no access until Friday night. Will look back then before starting project on Saturday. Thanks for all info so far, and keep it coming if you think of anything else. I will post after my first repair attempt.
    Attached Images

Feb 27, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Just realized I do have a picture of water heater, no close up yet though.
    Might help for you see it anyway.
    Tom
    Attached Images

Feb 27, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Now I'm wondering what the gas valve does exactly? How can that affect duration of hot water? I kind of understand the dip tube.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 01:41 PM
    The gas valve includes the gas valve and the thermostat (really an aquastat in a sense)

The aquastat (under gas valve, inside well fitting that is immerssed in the water of tank) controls temperature of the heater and the duration of time the gas valve allows flame on. If gas valve (aquastat) was defective it may not allow the burner assembly to fire when thermostat called for it... so, may be getting fluctuations in heating/maintenance of temperature. That could lead to decreased volume of hot water... ALSO could lead to extremely hot water which should cause the temperature and pressure relief valve to open and alert you guys to an unsafe condition.

Anyway, what size is that heater... looks like a 30 gallon. A 30 gallon gas fired water heater should provide about 45 gallons of hot water the first hour of use (30 gallons stored... 15 gallons recovery rate).

So, taking a shower at 2.5 gals./min (standard shower head rating).. and figuring that 1.5 gallons of that 2.5 gal./min. is actually hot water... tenant should be able to shower for roughly 30 minutes without excessive drop in temperature. How long can tenant last? This weekend... run shower yourself and see how long... if good for 5-10 minutes.. then drops off... then gas valve or gas burner assembly underneath is defective. Get back to us.

Mar 3, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Hi, I finally got to the tub today. First I checked the little triangle spinner in water main and it was not moving at all. Then I removed all the trim so I could see pipes behind. I saw no evidence of prior leak. I ran shower and tub while looking for pipe leaks, saw none. Good news, did not appear to be leaking from copper supply lines. I could also see down to the slab from faucet hole. Looked a little wet on base 2x4. I checked again after draining almost a full tub of water and it did not appear to get any damper. Then I removed the overflow plate and there was NO gasket in place.. So I purchased a gasket and decided to wait on cutting hole in wallboard to check main drain. Lets hope it stays dry now. With no overflow gasket the water must have went straight to the slab below.

* should I open wall to dry slab and 2x4's or will it dry well enough without?

WATER HEATER; water temp set very hot and water starts very hot. I ran for 15 minutes while checking for leaks and no drop in temp. Renter now claims they get 2 showers before losing temp. Must be OK?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Hi AZ

Glad nothing yet... I think! The gasket missing at the tub waste and overflow assembly is a good find.. maybe that was it after all. Maybe not?! *crossing fingers*

And amazing how they get 2 showers now... huh? Sounds OK for now, and the picture of the gas valve suggests that it is set at approximately 125 degrees or so... so they should be good to go.

Hey, let us know if that pesky leak shows itself. Take care.

If my answers helped please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

Mar 3, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Should not be necessary to cut wall to replace overflow gasket. Remove overflow cover, slip gasket in between tub and overflow.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Harold... the way I read it.. he did replace the gasket... He said, "So I purchased a gasket and decided to wait on cutting hole in wallboard to check main drain".

I wonder... what did he mean? Hey AZ... did you slip that tapered gasket in from the front and tighten faceplate? If not, follow Harold's post.

Harold... sharp as a tack my man... sharp as a tack!

Mar 3, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Thanks guys.
    I did slip the gasket in from the front. I hope not to have to cut wall to check the drain for leak.
    Then, assuming the leak stop now; I was wondering if I need to cut open the wall in order for the slab and woodwork to dry out completely of if it should dry up fine otherwise.

Mar 3, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Should dry on its own. Boy, did I miss read that. So soreeeeee!!

Mar 4, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help!
    I love this site and have been telling everyone this is the place to look for help.
    I will post ratings on the answers.
    If the leak 'springs' again, I will be back to this thread for more help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remodeling with Slab Foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to remodel my house with a slab foundation. To keep things simple I'm trying to re-use the existing plumbing & gas (in kitchen) connections. I also want to add a bathroom in what is currently the garage. It has laundry hook-ups for washer & dryer so I'm thinking I can use those, but I'm not...

Leak under carpeted slab by bathroom door - does slab have to be ripped up? [ 2 Answers ]

Could the leak be caused from something else? There is no water on bathroom floor, but could it be the toilet seal? Or a clogged vent backing up water or sewer? Help, we don't have much money and need answers fast.

Jack hammer through the slab to find leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have found where the slab is leaking. I have read the advice concerning how to find the leak and then to jack hammer the floor to expose the pipe. I know this sounds dumb but how do I jack hammer into the slab without accidentally hitting the pipe? Doug G.:confused:

Leak from first floor shower to outside foundation [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new house and have a leak that needs to be fixed. The leak is from the first floor stall shower. The house is on a slab and when I run the shower for a few minutes and walk outside to the exterior area by the shower, I see water running down the foundation. Since the house is on...

View more questions Search