Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Obama trying to provide a college education for our youth is money better spent, but some of the reasoning here misunderstands as if it would be mandated. That's not what Obama was suggesting, nor the case. The other part of the equation, that seems to be missed, is that not everyone is college material. Some youth simply learn skills better fit for trade industry: mechanic, welder, carpenter, plumber, ac/heat, etc...
    Exactly, that is the first issue. Not everyone is college material. Just another 2 years to screw off. Trade schools serve some folks much better.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Allheart it certainly is easy to say that things are undefunded but that is not the reality . There is plenty of money already being spent .Our kids should be Einsteins if that was the answer. Government is not the solution . I like when companies like Microsoft sponsor projects in a school like getting them computers in the rooms in return for naming the school Bill Gates elementary school . That is where we should focus our efforts ;convincing the private sector to sponsor scholarships and educational upgrades. The government could play a role in that but they are really a poor choice when it comes to managing almost anything.

That is very true Tom. I know certain agencies when funded, the total looks large, but then there are restrictions on where within that agency funding can be spent. So, one area within the agency say... labor... is underfunded but supplies, is grossly over funded and you can not swap out. Not sure if that is how it works at DOE.

LOVE your plan though with the Private Sector. LOVE IT!! So, why can't we do that?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Hello again, All:

My Ron Paul side says that you're giving too much faith to the bureaucrats. I suppose it's equally true that my cynicism is unfounded too... But, nahhhh.

Due to your big heart, you think that the people working at the Department of Education are working for the betterment of the schools.

I'm sure that when bright young people are hired, that's what they think too. But, after a while they find that bureaucrats aren't really in it for the betterment of the schools, they're in it for the betterment of themselves, to expand their power, and increase their budget.

They should actually find a real job. I hear McDonalds is hiring.

excon
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, All:

My Ron Paul side says that you're giving too much faith to the bureaucrats. I suppose it's equally true that my cynicism is unfounded too..... But, nahhhh.

Due to your big heart, you think that the people working at the Department of Education are working for the betterment of the schools.

I'm sure that when bright young people are hired, that's what they think too. But, after a while they find that bureaucrats aren't really in it for the betterment of the schools, they're in it for the betterment of themselves, to expand their power, and increase their budget.

They should actually find a real job. I hear McDonalds is hiring.

excon

Great just what we need more burger flippers :D

I was a burger flipper and a taco fryer... and even a french fryer... and all at the same time. Multi-talented I think they call it :)
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:49 AM
    I believe the Department of Education calls that multitasking.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:50 AM
    I'm getting hungry
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 29, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Tom you say free education free health service like it is a bad thing here in the uk we have both you say it like it's a bad thing it works pretty well over here.
    Yeah our government has its problems like yours but we have it and it works fine.

Feb 29, 2008, 01:14 PM
    We have a legislation called every child matters and the main points are below without free nhs and schooling these may not be achieved.

* Be healthy
    * Stay safe
    * Enjoy and achieve through learning
    * Make a positive contribution to society
    * Achieve economic well-being
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Nicki-

Higher education such as university (the equivalent of college in America) is not free in the UK*. I have a huge debt to prove this. Yes it is much more heavily subsidised than in America and for that I a truly grateful but free it is not.

*with the exception of Scotland which has a different system

Feb 29, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Sorry did not realise they were different thought college was college
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
    I work with a lot of americans. Sometimes it's like we speak different languages. It's so funny I'll say something then I just get a blank stare. Or we'll spend half a conversation talking about two completely separate things. :D
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 29, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Are you suggesting that Obama is running for president by making suggestions?

Would that be in contrast to Dubya that suggested under his guided economics that we would be country of people known as the "haves and have mores." Maybe GW's inference implied "recession." :)
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Would that be in contrast to Dubya that suggested under his guided economics that we would be country of people known as the "haves and have mores." Maybe he was just suggesting that would be more "recession." :)
    It would be in contrast to W who said he would cut taxes fairly for everyone, and he did. Promise made, promise delivered, in contrast to Dems who are too willing to lie and conceal their economics, other than to mask their program in class warfare.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:06 PM
    It would be in contrast to W who said he would cut taxes fairly for everyone, and he did.
    But oh what else he did -- created an unnecessary debt that may take generations to pay off.

Feb 29, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    But oh what else he did -- created an unnecessary debt that may take generations to pay off.
    He helped rack up a 9,000,000,000 monthly spenditure in Iraq.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 29, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again:

Frankly, I don't think we need to spend a nickel more. We're spending plenty. We just need to get more bang for our buck.

I'm not going to start pointing fingers. We've been doing that for 40 years. There's enough blame across the political spectrum to go around. I dunno how to fix it. I just know that it CAN be fixed.

Ok, I do know how to fix it. For starters, let's in one fell swoop, eliminate the Education Department and the NEA.

excon
    Wonders never cease! For the second time, I agree with you!

Feb 29, 2008, 06:33 PM
    It would be in contrast to W who said he would cut taxes fairly for everyone, and he did. Promise made, promise delivered, in contrast to Dems who are too willing to lie and conceal their economics, other than to mask their program in class warfare.
    So the Democrats speaking of spenditures on our children, our future generations, concerning education, is somehow less important than Dubya's failed economics, that by the way he delivered on. Recession, record foreclosures and bankruptcies, and gas prices escalating (although we found out this week he was unaware of gas possibly hitting $4 a gallon).

Feb 29, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Shabbos starts soon. I enjoyed the topic and reading the various views. Everyone have a great evening, Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    You should be fair with responsibility for the budget deficits; the president neither taxes nor appropriates. If you wish to argue that W should have been tougher on Congress, you have a lot of company. He also promised to bring a new tone to the nation's capitol and he tried; I believe that is why he didn't get into rancorous arguments over the budget (you know: bickering?? ), which everyone, according to the liberal media, detests. He did his part and gets no thanks for it. There are lots and lots of critics; I call them, people riding in the wagon; but not many who want to get out and pull the wagon. W will be judged more responsibly and favorably in future years; he has been a worker, not a loafer or philanderer.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
    I agree. Bad idea indeed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

Used Furnaces. Good or Bad Idea? [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about purchasing a few used furnaces from a homeowner whom is leveling a two family dwelling. I think this is a cost effective method, rather then buying brand new. Is this something that can be done, and is there anything I should know in advance? Are used furnaces something to...

Bad Idea ? [ 10 Answers ]

Im currently spending some time with a guy I meet through friends. He is 19 and I am 16- is this too much of a gap ? He is out working and living his life and I am still in high school. The other half of it was that he was married at 18 to a girl and 4 5 months after they got pregnant. They...

Kind of a bad idea? [ 6 Answers ]

Aiight I had a post on here a while ago about this one girl and I thought she liked me so I told her I liked her more than a friend and I guess I was wrong in my prediction(she didn't like me as more than friend) haha.. I kind of still liked her but she was being an about it saying that I...

View more questions Search