Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puppylady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 02:56 PM
    How to file with no 1099 and NO good guess at earnings?
    Didn't see this asked anywhere yet so forgive if repeating! My son works as an IC for a moving company which will pay a "crew leader" who then pays his helpers. Son was a helper in 2007 so has no check stubs; can only guess at what he made but knows it is over $600. Don't even know if they did 1099s for ANYbody there. He needs to file M-filing jointly to take advantage of kid benefits they'll get. He knows there will be W/H to pay. Can he file w/o a Form 1099 and estimate what he made?

Thanks for ANY input on this!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Sounds like he was treated as a contractor and should file as self-employed. He'll report his receipts and expenses on Schedule C. With no supporting documentation he will just have to make his best guess as to what the correct amounts are. He should keep notes as to how he arrived at his numbers in case the IRS sends a letter asking for clarification in a year or two.

On the other hand, if he is filing MFJ and he and his wife had less than $17,500 earned income and had minimal (or no) unearned income, they may not have to file at all. See the instructions in Pub 501 to see if he needs to file:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I file a 1099-int [ 3 Answers ]

Do I have to file a 1099-int form with my taxes or is it just for my records?

Which state do I file my 1099-R? [ 5 Answers ]

I have received (2) 1099-Rs. One is for a loan that I defaulted when I left my company and moved out of state. The other is for the disbursement that I withdrew when I first arrived in my new state. I lived in PA for the first 4 months of 2007 and then moved to IL for the remainder of 2007. I'm not...

1099-MISC, how to file! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Yes I know, down to the wire on taxes. Please help. I am finished filing (But haven't sent in yet) my return on Turbo Tax. In 2006, I started working for a financial services company as an administrative assistant SUB for the front desk gal while she was on vacation for a month, before I...

No 1099, wondering how to file [ 1 Answers ]

During the year I worked for someone and made some cash under the table (slightly above the non-1099 limit), and as such never received any 1099 from the employer (so far as I know, no forms were filed whatsoever). Though I have other sources of income for the year, I would nonetheless like to...

Taxes on 1099 earnings [ 13 Answers ]

Hello AtlantaTaxExpert Thanks in advance for your time. I came to the US in Jul 2001 on an F-1 Visa. My OPT started in OCT 2005 and ends in OCT 2006. I started working for my current employer on 3rd Jan 2006. He knows my status is OPT and said that he wouldn't generate a W-2 for me and at...

View more questions Search