Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Contract lawnotice of intent not to renew contract for services
    Are notices of intent not to renew enforceable in California, and if so, is there a limit on the damages assessed (liquidated damages)?

Does the consumer legal remedies act apply to small business customers in California, or only "consumers" for personal use?

I contracted for 3 years for hard line phone service for my small company. After three years, I just kept paying my omonthly fee. Now I want to change service but they said my three year contract automatically renewed because I did not give at least 90 day notice of my intent not to renew before the initial contract expired. The company is saying that I am 8 months into my new three year contract, which I never agreed to or realized that I agreed to, and wants to charge me for the remaining 28 months of service as a termination fee. Surely this is UNFAIR, DECEPTIVE, and UNREASONABLE. What do I hang my hat on, the CLRA, or the Business & prof code, or maybe the UCL? I am thinking CLRA, but I am a small business. Please help.
    Bryan
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Sounds like you didn't read the fine print. I suspect you will find, when you read the contract that you are required to give 90 notice of your intent not to renew. And if there is a such a clause, you are stuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract Changes after Accepted and Signed Contract [ 12 Answers ]

We recently had an offer accepted on a house. Both parties signed the contract. Our lawyer signed off on the contract. Their lawyer put a contingency that they find suitable housing. This was not mentioned at the time they accepted the offer. Upon the sellers accepting our offer, we listed and...

Does contract law apply to a verbal investoment contract. [ 4 Answers ]

I am a Motion Picture Executive Producer. Can the Verbal Contract and Breach thereof be asserted to the Investor to incite his involvement and a written contract with a Breach Clause.

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Contract [ 3 Answers ]

I recently signed a contract for deed on a home in Missouri. We were in the home for about 4 months. Last week the ceiling in our den started to leak excessively till the point that the entire ceiling came down. When the sheet rock feel down it exposed another ceiling underneath. This previous...

Can a verbal contract trump a written contract [ 5 Answers ]

I gave a deposit to a contractor to do a bathroom remodel with a 3-day grace period written into the contract to get my deposit back. The time lapsed as I waited for my appt to meet with the contractor at his showroom to pick my bathroom supplies out. When we got to the showroom the contractor...

View more questions Search