Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack Shappa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 11:50 AM
    1920's Floor Tile Felt Backing.
    Greetings. A year or two ago we decided to replace the ceramic tile in our living room with carpet. After removing that tile, we found the original tile underneath. It was a black and white checkerboard tile put in when the house was new (1923 or so). It was ruined obviously so it needed to be removed. Knowing asbestos was not used in tiles until the 1940s I just tore it out. Underneath that old tile was a layer of greyish felt. It was stuck down to the floor (and the tiles were stuck on top of it).

Now a year or so later I learned even some old tiles sometimes used asbestos in their "backing". Though this seems less like tile backing and more like an actual separate layer glued to the floor, then the tile applied on top (though its very old so I can't be positive).

We didn't fully remove this felt layer, just laid carpet pad and carpet over top.

My questions are, could that old felt layer contain asbestos, and should I now go back and pull up the carpet/pad to remove it? Or is it pretty well sealed down by pad/carpet? It was definitely "ripped up" in the tile removal process. Would walking/vaccuming the carpet agitate and release fiber down under the carpet and pad?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 25, 2008, 02:08 PM
    It could contain asbestos but is hard to determine as it is so old. You should get a piece of the felt and get it tested for Asbestos before pulling the carpet up and removing all of the felt. Check your local yellow pages for a company that can do this for you. Not sure walking / vaccuming will release any of the fibers but it would be worth the test to make sure before tearing it all up.
    Jack Shappa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Well I guess my follow-up would be, is it LIKELY to be asbestos (felt backing on a 1920's tile/linoleum) or is there a good chance its not? I have scoured the net and there is very little on that particular topic (though plenty on all kinds of other asbestos issues). And yeah I guess my next course is a test. I appreciate any replies.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 25, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Really hard to say if it has asbestos in it. I'd guess it does not, but the flooring you removed may have. The test is definitely your next step.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use cut floor tile for a tile baseboard? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I laid down 13"by13" tile for my bathroom floor, and it looks pretty good. I have enough tile left over to make a tile baseboard. The width could be anywhere from 3 inches to 6.5 inches. What would be best? Would the finish edge at the top look strange? How could I make it look best? ...

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Floor Drain Backing up [ 4 Answers ]

We recently bought a small three bedroom house and everything was fine for the first week and then the floor drain started to back up and gurgle. It started just gurgling, then the water level would rise a little and now when we run the shower or empty the sink it totally backs up and out of the...

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

View more questions Search