Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LADYFISH201 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Router hook up
    Can any one tell me how to hook up a wireless router? I bought it used , it has a users manual but no instructions how to hook it up to my pc/isp.came with power cord, users manual, no other cables. Help
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Feb 25, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Step 1. Verify that you have a wireless card for the PC you want to connect wirelessly.
    Step 2. Factory Reset the Router. There is a small hole near the power cord on the back on most models. Plug the power in, Take a paper clip, straighten it, and press the little button with it and hold it for about 30 seconds. The lights will blink on and off a few times.
    Step 3. You will need an Ethernet Cable. Go to your local computer shop and buy a 6ft cat5 cable.
    Step 4. Plug the Cat5 into port 2 on the router, plug the other end into your Ethernet port on your PC. Make sure the router is powered up.
    Step 5. Open a web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 into the box, you may also have to try 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.254 depending on the type of router you have.
    A username/password box will appear. The username should be admin, or nothing, and the password should be admin or password. Depending on the router model again. It might also be linksys.
    Once you have entered the password you should see the configuration tabs for the router. Go to the Wireless tab and check the Enable Wireless box.

You now have an Open Wireless Access Point.
    Plug the Cat5 cable from your Cable or DSL modem into the INTERNET or WAN port of the Wireless Router.

Now unplug the DSL or Cable modem from the power, count to 10 and plug it back in.
    You should now have internet access through the wireless router. If you have a wireless card you can now unplug the Ethernet cable from your PC and still be on the internet.

It is a good idea to change the default password of the Router and change the SSID of the wireless network to something other than the default. It is also a good idea to use WEP or WPA (WPA is better). But that is beyond the scope of this answer.

If these instructions break down somewhere and cease to work just post a screen shot of what you see and I'll work from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do we hook this up? [ 4 Answers ]

My friend has DSL and was told that she needed a router to hook to her cable modem to use her computer in another room. There is no DSL connection in the other room. If I have to hook the router to the modem, how do I hook the cable from the router to the computer if the computer is in a different...

Where do the wires hook up to? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a package unit, I want to add electric heat. I received the heat package but with no instructions on where to hook-up the wires from the contactor energizing the heating elements. I understand that one of the wires should go to the w1 on my thermostat, but where does the other wire...

Hook up [ 1 Answers ]

How would you hook-up the following? Satellite, cable box, dvd player (w/component cables) and vcr to a TV with, 2 a/v connections on the back 1 componet connection on back and 1 s-video on the back? I also have an A/B switch and splitter. I currently can watch either the SAT or the cable box, but...

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Hook up [ 2 Answers ]

How do you connect a waterline for a frig. The copper pipe is sticking out of the wall how do I connect the water line

View more questions Search