Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milkywayrocks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Transition between Grad school and work
    Hi,

I am a foreigner who has started my job and sixth year in the US this August. For the first five year I was in Grad school receiving salary from the University, and have been filing under the non-resident alien status.

Since this year I would have to file for both my University and work income, I have a few questions about the transition.

1. Which status should I file under? Should I file for the 2 different employers using different status?

2. Do tax-softwares (e.g. TurboTax) allows for filing in my situation? (i.e. a change in status as well as employers)

3. My wife has recently joined me in the US. Our visa status does not allow her an SSN, and from what I know we need to apply for ITIN for the purpose of filing jointly. I read that the W7 form required for this purpose maybe filed together with tax return. Is this correct?

Thank you so much for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 02:49 PM
    If you arrived prior to 1 January 2003, you are a resident alien for 2007.

2 & 3) Yes, you can use tax software if you filed by yourself. However, since you want to file jointly with your wife, you must submit Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN, which means the tax return MUST be mailed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

UK Grad School [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Do you have any idea on UK grad school? I have heard great things about UK Grad School Programs. I want to study Finance, and good university/college you guys know about in UK? I heard it's only 1 year program in UK, right? Thank you in advance

Should I go to Grad school or work in Global 500 now [ 15 Answers ]

Hi there, I have two options on either going to one of the top graduate schools or working for a global 500 with a reasonable starting pay salary(they will train me while make me travel around the world for the first couple years)? So what would you think I should choose? What happen if I...

Grad school or time off? [ 4 Answers ]

I graduated from college in December 06 and I am currently living at home and working in my home town at the local hospital. I have been here since I was four and never even left for college. I want to pursue my master's in Speech Language Pathology, I have applied to three schools and been...

Grad school after OPT [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am an undergraduate student with Indian citizenship in my senior year. I will be receiving a BA in computer science in May of this year. I have a few questions. After graduating in May of 2007, I will start my 12 month OPT...

View more questions Search