Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Unless you have a leak in the tank itself, there is no way for it to "disappear". It can't evaporate, it is a closed system. Just to be real safe, after turning the water off, release the pressure through a faucet, close the faucet, set it to Vacation, go South for the winter and don't worry.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2013, 04:10 PM
    I agree with Ma0641, Thanks.

John
    chrislumd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2014, 02:35 PM
    Does Kenmore Pilot means not to reheat the water?
    If so, we don't need to change the temperature setting (thermostat dial) at all, just change the gas control knob to "PILOT"? Am I right?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 9, 2014, 04:15 PM
    Hi Chris

Setting the "thermostat dial" to pilot means that only the pilot will remain lit and will NOT turn on the gas valve to heat the water in the tank. When you want to heat the tank of water again, just return the thermostat dial to the original setting (approximately 120-125F).

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation mode for water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gas, select state water heater with a manual pilot. We will be away on vacation for 3 months and I am wondering the best way to leave the water heater. I plan on turning off the water throughout the house, but will keep the house between 55-60 degrees. Should I completely turn off the...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

No hot water - hot water heater and cold working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Its freezing out and we have NO hot water! Cold is working fine everywhere - but nothing comes out of the hot side anywhere. The hot water heater appears to be working? Did the hot water pipes freeze? Why the hot side and not the cold? Please help.

Hot water heater - vacation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to shut off my water supply while I am on vacation. I plan to put the gas control valve on "pilot" while I am gone, and let the pilot continue to burn. Is this OK? Should I open a hot water faucet in the house to relieve any possible pressure buildup due to thermal expansion? The heater...

View more questions Search