Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    body guy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Hissing noise on powersrtoke7.3 diesel
    I have a 1999 7.3 diesel. I start it up when its cold to warm up. It goes on high idle , like it is supposed to, but the exhaust will hiss on and off not smooth and even . It also does it driving down the road it makes the truck jerk or lunge. If it is over 40 or 45 degrees it won't do it . Other than that it is a true work horse and will never own any thing else.
    MarkNat Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Where in the exhaust will this noise come from? Will it eventually stop?

Mar 3, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Hi mark nat you hear it at the tail pipe when your outside the truck ,and you canhear it inside the truck (coming from the engine ) driving down the road.

Mar 3, 2008, 05:28 PM
    It will stop sometimes and other times it won't
    kevbone Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:25 PM
    There is an exhaust flap actuator on the front bottom of turbo, this actuator will partly close the flap when cold to keep exhaust in engine to warm it up faster, when ecu sees throttle position the flap is supposed to open letting exhaust flow normal, this is a very common problem on 7.3s, you can either replace this actuator, or you can unplug it, if unplugged there will not be a check engine light and engine actually will still warm up pretty good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hissing noise in main plumbing in house [ 8 Answers ]

In the last few weeks I have noticed a steady increase in a hissing type noise coming from the pluming in my house.. from the same area where we have a water pressure control. My Neighbors recently experienced a water mains break right where it separates from the city pipes to the ones going to our...

Buying 7.3 L diesel need info on trucks with diesel engine [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking at buying a 1997 Ford F250 Diesel 7.3L it has 200k miles. Till now I have had only gas engines but have always been a truck guy. Please provide any information you know about this truck including: gas mileage, life expectancy, upkeep costs, major problems to look for anything at...

Hissing and growling [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 21 week old Himalayan kitten. NuNu is her name. My friend just a male himalayan, Cyrus is his name. I had NuNu spayed 3 weeks ago. We have introduced them last Sat. My friend and I live in the same apartment complex. We would like for our kittens to be playmates, but NuNu seems to...

Hissing! [ 2 Answers ]

One of my cats has been very calm and easy going for the first two years of his life and now, all of a sudden, he has started to hiss at us. It seemed to start as a game he was playing. We would be walking and he would jump in front of us and hiss. Now he has started hissing all the time. When we...

View more questions Search