Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alvin_44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 12:25 PM
    A case concerning Company Law
    Joe owned and ran a radio repair business. It was quite successful but Joe was worried about the long term prospects because of the far reaching changes being made in radio technology. Joe foresaw the eventual decline of his type of business and decided that while it was still relatively prosperous, he would transfer it to a company (especially incorporated for the purpose). Of the nominal capital of $100, ten $1 shares were issued to Joe and his wife. Joe was elected the sole director of the company and the company employed three mechanics. Although, the business was worth approximately $50,000, the company agreed to buy it from Joe for $80,000. In exchange for the business, the company issued a debenture for $80,000 to Joe, secured by a fixed charge on the company’s fixed assets and a floating charge on all its other assets.

In January 2005, a fire in the workshop caused extensive damage to the premises (which were at all material times owned by Joe and which the company was licensed to use for the purpose of its business). The business had to cease operating for 4 weeks resulting in a loss of some $10,000 and physical damage to the premises amounted to $15,000. Joe had effected insurance against such risks, both to the premises and to the business, but when the business was sold to the company, there was no assignment of the benefit of the insurance policy to the company, nor did the company effect its own insurance against such risks. The insurance company is now refusing to pay out in respect of the loss suffered by the company from the interruption to the business.

In January 2006, the local council gave notice of its intention to exercise its compulsory purchase power to expropriate the premises but offered compensation which took account only of the fact that Joe owned the premises and refused to consider compensation for the loss of the right to use the premises for business purposes which would result from the expropriation.

From January to April 2007, the business continued to decline and despite advice to the contrary from his accountant and workforce, Joe continued to trade through the company in the hope that it would return to solvency. In May, however, the company went into a creditor’s voluntary winding up with debts exceeding assets by close to $100,000.

Here are the issues which I need answering:

1)The second issue in this case study is whether Joe can be the director and also the secured creditor of the same company.

2)Whether Joe claim for the floating charge as a secured creditor?

3)Whether Joe was at fault in increasing the company’s debts?

4)Whether Joe, as the land owner, has a claim against the local council for compensation in respect of the loss of business user rights arising out of the loss of premises?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin_44
    Joe owned and ran a radio repair business. It was quite successful but Joe was worried about the long term prospects because of the far reaching changes being made in radio technology. Joe foresaw the eventual decline of his type of business and decided that while it was still relatively prosperous, he would transfer it to a company (especially incorporated for the purpose). Of the nominal capital of $100, ten $1 shares were issued to Joe and his wife. Joe was elected the sole director of the company and the company employed three mechanics. Although, the business was worth approximately $50,000, the company agreed to buy it from Joe for $80,000. In exchange for the business, the company issued a debenture for $80,000 to Joe, secured by a fixed charge on the company’s fixed assets and a floating charge on all its other assets.

In January 2005, a fire in the workshop caused extensive damage to the premises (which were at all material times owned by Joe and which the company was licensed to use for the purpose of its business). The business had to cease operating for 4 weeks resulting in a loss of some $10,000 and physical damage to the premises amounted to $15,000. Joe had effected insurance against such risks, both to the premises and to the business, but when the business was sold to the company, there was no assignment of the benefit of the insurance policy to the company, nor did the company effect its own insurance against such risks. The insurance company is now refusing to pay out in respect of the loss suffered by the company from the interruption to the business.

In January 2006, the local council gave notice of its intention to exercise its compulsory purchase power to expropriate the premises but offered compensation which took account only of the fact that Joe owned the premises and refused to consider compensation for the loss of the right to use the premises for business purposes which would result from the expropriation.

From January to April 2007, the business continued to decline and despite advice to the contrary from his accountant and workforce, Joe continued to trade through the company in the hope that it would return to solvency. In May, however, the company went into a creditor’s voluntary winding up with debts exceeding assets by close to $100,000.

Here are the issues which I need answering:

1)The second issue in this case study is whether Joe can be the director and also the secured creditor of the same company.

2)Whether Joe claim for the floating charge as a secured creditor?

3)Whether Joe was at fault in increasing the company’s debts?

4)Whether Joe, as the land owner, has a claim against the local council for compensation in respect of the loss of business user rights arising out of the loss of premises?

Sorry - I did my own homework and think you should do yours.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Can't tell first year or second year case law??

Sorry, you don't learn if you do your homework for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company Law Case [ 13 Answers ]

Can anyone give me any website link which talks about Adams Vs. Cape plc (south africa)? It would be appreciated if anyone can help me giving the summary of this case. Thanks in anticipation.

Company case law [ 1 Answers ]

What was the issue to be decided in Solmon V/s Solmon case and what was courts verdict on it.

Do I have a case to sue my company [ 1 Answers ]

Istarted working for a company 7months ago.Within two months I was promoted from tills to supervisor.I was also told supervisor was being changed to shift managers and I had the job A week later I had my thumb broken ,it had nothing to do with work ,I was on the sick for 5weeks I was told during...

Case law [ 2 Answers ]

Landlord sent in contractors to see about new sink unit but they complained to landlord kitchen was dirty and untidy and landlord wants to come in. I understand landlord can be liable for tresspass against tenant. Any case law on this point would help.also I am waiting for data of allegation before...

Possible criminal case? Construction Supply company [ 1 Answers ]

Forgive me if this is not in the right forum, I'll move it if it isn't just let me know. A supply company recently in business was buying wholesale from other supply companies and selling the product to local contractors. Months later the original supply Companies are putting liens on peoples...

View more questions Search