Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waqassiddiqui Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Find Probability
    Q If 3 books are picked at random from a shelf containing 5 novels, 3 books of poems, and a dictionary, what is the probability that
    (a) The dictionary is selected?
    (b) 2 novels and 1 book of poems are selected?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Do you have any ideas how to approach these? I showed you the card problem, gratis. Please show me that you have a clue. These are worked the same way. For the first part, you are choosing 3 books from 9.
    The dictionary must be among them, but the other two can be any of the other 5 novels or 3 poems. How would you set that up?

For part b, you are selectiong 2 from 5 novels and 1 from 3 poems. You are choosing 3 altogether from 9.
    arturdo968 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Do you think you could explain how to get this?
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 03:55 PM
    The probability of choosing 2 novels and 1 poem would be:

That is because we are choosing 2 out of 5 novels, 1 out of 3 poems, 0 out of 1 dictionary and 3 out of 9 in all.

Notice how the numbers in the numerator add up to the numbers in the denominator

You can also do it this way:

3(5/9)(4/8)(3/7)=5/14... see why?

Sep 7, 2008, 04:29 PM
    I think I do. I read your other example of this, so is the top always going to be the break down of what you can get?

and also, did you do it for the probability of 2 novels and 1 poem? Because I meant for part a. I'm so sorry.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Choose the number from each you need divided by the total chosen.

For the dictionary, wouldn't it just be 1/3? There is only 1 dictionary out of 9 books.

Sep 7, 2008, 04:40 PM
    that's what I thought the answer was at first, but it seemed to be too easy. I got confused and at first I was also thinking since you're picking 3 books, 1 would be a dictionary, so it is a 1/3 probability
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Yep, that's it.

Sep 7, 2008, 05:07 PM
    thank you. I'm sorry for all that lol. Probability is the one thing in math that I can never understand

Sep 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Actually if I could bother you one more time, could you do the breakdown of the answer? Like you did previously for part b. it would help me a lot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find the probability [ 1 Answers ]

In a study of 685 cars in a parking lot, there were only 3 different types: sedan,sports car and mini van. 211 of the cars were mini vans. Use this information to estimate the probability of choosing a car that is a sedan or sports car.

HOW can I find old age homes in BARRIE Ontario? I need to find my mom! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, just wondering if someone could find me a listof them all, thanks!

Probability [ 3 Answers ]

The Master Card center of a bank in Calgary has found that 62 percent of cardholders pay their new monhly balance in full before the payment due date. Suppose the credit center selects four cardholders at random. Use this information to answer the following questions. a) What is the...

Probability ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys I am trying to work a problem similar to this 4 married couples are at a dance. The wives randomly select new partners from the 4 men they are with, what is the probability that no one dances with their spouse for the next dance? PLEASE HELP... I'm completely lost

Probability [ 2 Answers ]

A true/false quiz consists of twenty questions. If a student answers the twenty questions by making random guesses, what is the probability of getting at least one correct answer? For the second question, subtract from 1 the probability of betting none right in 20 attempts. That will leave you...

View more questions Search