Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Feb 24, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Partitioning my drive
    I want to partition my HDD and its my first time doing it. I tried doing some research online about it but I am really unsure so I figured I would ask for help here.

Some basics. I am running XP with a 300Gb HDD. I built this PC myself and when I set it up I just created the 1 partition, but now I want to split up the space on my HDD into 2 or 3 sections (Either 3-100 GB sections or 1-200GB and 1-100GB section)

I use my PC for a lot of music and games so I want to have those partitions to manage everything easier (Defrag purposes and stuff)
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Feb 26, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Download Cute Partition Manager and read the documentation with it. It will tell you how to create new partitions out of your existing free space on the drive. Just remember to make a backup before you do it. I recommend Acronis.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2008, 11:48 AM
    I would go with Partition Magic. You may be able to get it bundled with Norton Ghost.

The thing is you need a tool like that to resize the partitions without losing data. Otherwise you would need to delete the existing partition and then recreate the three partitions. With a partitoning utility, you would first resize the existing partition, then add additional partitions out of the unused space.
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Feb 26, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Agreed, if you have the money to spend Partition Magic is the way to go, but I still prefer Acronis over Ghost.
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Feb 26, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Very helpful advice. Money is a BIG issue right now though so I may have to either re-format my HD and partition it then, or just hold off.

I may just reformat anyway, since I was having problems with explorer.exe crashing not long ago.
    redbluespirit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 04:10 PM
    You can partition it manually,first u need to format the H.D.D. remember to backup first.Then when formatting format the drive C:/,then u will have the hard drive blank windows setup will ask you if u wan to install windows look for the command which says create partition and u can create as many as you want then install windows on one of the partitions you created.
    Sitwonade Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2008, 01:07 PM
    If you use PartedMagic (not Partition Magic, Google for it) it can resize your NTFS partition and create new partitions for you. It's free, open-source software.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partitioning 160GB HD [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best method of Partitioning 160GB HD

Partitioning [ 6 Answers ]

How do I partition my computer I have a 180gb hard drive

Formatting/partitioning an external drive [ 1 Answers ]

Having troubles w/formatting my external LaCie drive. Drive is empty - I just want to split it in 3 or 4 partitions. Disc utility is quitting on me. I'm running OSX. What else can I use to format my drive? :confused: 24 hours and not even 1 reply!! :mad: What kind of forum is that?

Partitioning Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I could really use some help on this one please I am stumped and do not know what to do from here. I have a computer that was partitioned two ways. The first partition was win 2000 ntsf. I deleted it and was able to create a primary dos partition. My problem is when I display partition...

Partitioning the hard disc [ 2 Answers ]

I have 40 gb hard drive.AT present I have only one partition. Iwant to make three partitions , How to do it. Please I want step by step. Thanks

View more questions Search