Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Who will win
    Not being a American or even living in america we have bits and bobs of your news and we all know your elections are coming up.

Who do you think will win

Hilary- because she will be the first woman president
    Obama- because he will be the first black president

Who do you want to win and why

But beware we had a woman prime minister Margrat thatcher who ever voted her must have surly regret it.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Women have been in leadership around the globe and done well. I did like Margaret Thatcher! Wish I could have voted for her. Everyone has faults and people who will gladly point them out. Everyone has failings and those who will jump on those.

As far as voting for either Barack or Hilary - neither one. That is purely based on my own political philosophy.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
    From a Canadian perspective I would like to think that Hilary would get in although she is losing her track record right now and from what I see in the Canadian papers it looks like Obama is quite popular in all the States where they have campaigned. However. Obama's wife has probably done him small harm by saying lately that she had no faith in America (I may have this entire wording incorrect but close) until her husband ran for President. At least some stated that was a deterrent.

Nicki, you are obviously from the UK by mentioning Margaret Thatcher and on the home front I know she was not that popular but I must say was available on the spur of the moment. At least I don't think there were any real major issues at the time she had to deal with. My memory may not be serving me correctly though and I will probably stand corrected.

This coming election should be interesting, the first woman for president, or the first black man for president.

Feb 24, 2008, 11:33 AM
    I was a child when Margrat Thatcher the milk snatcher was prime minister and I can only remember everyone in areas hate for her and in Hull Labour was always a easy bet that they would win.
    We called her the milk snatcher because everyone at school had free milk then she came along and stopped it petty I know but I was a child
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
    I think Maggie Thatcher was one of the most effective European leaders in the 20th Century.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Who do you think will win

Hilary- because she will be the first woman president
    Obama- because he will be the first black president
    John McCain because he is the only candidate remaining that gives me any trust he can actually lead.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 11:50 AM
    The two you named are only the 2 Democratic Canidates, And I think several things will happen, no matter which of them win their parties nomination, I believe it will split the party and many will not go and vote for the others canidate. I believe this will give the Republican canidate an upper hand.

As for as a women, I don't think too many have a problem with that, expect this specific women.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:51 AM
    The Democrats want change and will do what ever it takes to get in power

They will tax you to continue the welfare state -- more votes for them

If Hilary or Obama get elected -- we will live to regret it

I am sick of the Clinton's and their decietful politics -- disgraceful!!

Feb 24, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I think Maggie Thatcher was one of the most effective European leaders in the 20th Century.
    From what I remember she lead us in to a ressesion:o
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 24, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Hi Nicki143-

Provided the Clintons do not disenfranchise segments of the Democratic party, Obama, if nominated, has the best chance to become the next President of the United States. The most note worthy feel for direction that we have to date is by using polling numbers and the recent primaries which demonstrate that about half the Democratic party does not want the Clinton's back in the White House and by far the majority of Republicans feel the same way. Hillary is trying the same desperate ugly tactics that worked well for husband Bill against the Republicans in the past. However this time she has more than met her match with Barack. Obama, if people agree or disagree with him on the issues, has the communication skills of Ronald Reagan. Even McCain supporters are enjoying watching Hillary being reduced to tantrums. As "biggsie" has pointed out most people are simply sick of the Clinton's deceitful politics (Whitewater: http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0852144.html, shoving NAFTA down our throats, etc... ) and what we've all witnessed by how they run a campaign past and present. Obama has a functional family and although his platform and Hillary's is very similar on numerous subjects (with slight nuances and variations) many people don't see Hillary as presidential material from a trustworthy aspect nor for having the temperament needed to be in charge. However, as far as women go, I certainly do think the world has seen their proven successful leadership skills scattered throughout history. As for Thatcher's past effect on your country, I'll reserve comment.

More reasons I do not want the Clintons running our nation:

Grounds for impeachment: lying & obstructing justice

The Office of the Independent Counsel hereby submits substantial and credible information that President Clinton committed acts that may constitute grounds for an impeachment. The information reveals that President Clinton:

*lied under oath at a civil deposition while he was a defendant in a sexual harassment lawsuit, Jones v. Clinton;
    *lied under oath to a grand jury about his sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky;
    *attempted to influence the testimony of a potential witness;
    *lied to potential grand jury witnesses, knowing that they would repeat those lies before the grand jury; and
    *engaged in a pattern of conduct regarding his relationship with Monica Lewinsky that was inconsistent with his constitutional duty to faithfully execute the law.

Source: The Starr Report, p. 21-22 Sep 11, 1998

Now McCain, for my concerns, is a bit archaic and antiquated when it comes to diplomacy and is rather lacking when it comes to economic help. If you liked the leadership of GW Bush, which is mostly disappointing, you'll love John McCain. From one of my recent previous posts: Hard working people that don't get annual executive bonuses are reluctant to make contributions into an IRA or 401k when worried about making ends meat. McCain has already admitted that the economy is not his strongest subject and it's obvious that he would like to make terrorism the number one issue in Americans minds; that's his campaign strategy thus far. But here we are in the midst of a recession and the worst has yet to come. The monthly spenditure for the Iraqi war is over $9,000,000,000 dollars and that's money that could be reduced and used more effectively otherwise. Just this week oil went over one hundred dollars a barrel. This time last year the national average at the gas-pump was $2.28, today it's $3.09. Cost of living raises are not keeping up for most of the middle class and none of the lower class. Just raising the minimum wage was like pulling teeth for the Bush administration. Desperate times "rebate checks" will be mailed out in an effort to cover-up Bush's failed economics as he stumbles out of office with approval ratings as low as the Congress. Corporations in Vegas have started the downsize phase with about 6,000 jobs due to be cut within the next month at least for one large corporation (that will remain unnamed due to my employer's privacy policy). I do respect McCain for his duty served in Vietnam, but would rather choose Ron Paul or even Huckabee on the Republican side.

Personally I'm liking Ron Paul more and more (Ron Paul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but I'm acceptable of Obama as President (Barack Obama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, should he be elected. With Paul more than likely dropping out of the race at some point, I'll support Obama (Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Issues).
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 05:53 AM
    tickle disagrees: Interesting. Then you are discounting Winston Churchill whose accomplishments won well over Margaret Thatcher.
    You will note that I said in my answer that Thatcher was ONE of the most effective leaders in the 20th Century and NOT THE MOST .

I have in no way "discounted " Churchill at all. I am a big admirer of him . I think Thatcher was molded from his cloth . I wonder if any other Brit leader since except Blair would have the testicular fortitude to defend the Falklands . I wonder if Britain even has the means or desire to do so today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win 98se back to win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Does anybody know if it is possible to backout an installation of win 98se. A friend of mine installed a USB hub on his win 98 machine and when asked for the drivers he inserted a win 98se disk and the machine tried to go through the upgrade procedure. At some point this upgrade...

Dual booting setup of Win Vista Ultimate 64-bit and Win XP Pro 32-bit? [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have Windows Ultimate OEM 64-bit version installed. I have 2 hard drives on my system. My 160GB SATA hard drive has Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed and running very well. (C) I have a second hard drive (80GB IDE) on my system which has backup files. I would like to install...

Would I win if... [ 13 Answers ]

Would I win a court case if I took my ex boyfriend to small claims court? We lived together for a year and a half and ended our relationship two days after Christmas 2005. A month or so after I moved out of his house, he later asked me if I would help him purchase a laptop computer. I agreed...

View more questions Search