Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burkey12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Non-resident filing status when living overseas
    I was a US government employee, civilian, living and working overseas for 2007. Do I pay taxes as a non-resident for CA (where I am registered) or file as a resident even though I was not physically there?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Most states tax expatriate U.S. citizens based on where they were last domiciled. I suspect you need to file as a resident of California under that general principle.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 10:10 AM
    California has an exception to being treated as a resident if you are outside of California for at least 546 days under an employment contract and do not have significant investment income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

Non-resident married to a non-resident: filing status [ 6 Answers ]

I am on H1b and does not pass significant presence test in 2007. My wife lives in home country and had been in the US for less than 30 days in 2007. I think I will need to file 1040nr. Am I single or married? I noticed that on w-4, there was a line saying" if you are married to a non-resident...

H1B, Non-resident spouse overseas, Filing Status [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US on H1B since Aug 2006 (more than a year as of date). Last month, in Dec 2007, I returned to my home country to get married. Subsequently, I came back to US to continue working, while my spouse still remains in the home country as she needs to work. We have plans...

Tax Return Filing Status - Married H1B with Dependents Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on F1 two years ago. I graduated this summer and will start working in August 2007 under H1B. My wife and son spend most of the time back in home country and only come to the US occasionally. (A couple of months per year tops). Is it true that in this case, my US tax return...

Tax status about child living away in home country of resident allien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Me and My wife are from India and both of us working in USA on H1B visa status. We have a 7 year old daughter who is staying with her grand parents in India and studying There. We send money to her grand parents for all her expenses. Now we are decided to Bring our daughter this end of...

View more questions Search