Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lisa2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Washer machine overflow
    Hi !

It appears that the washer machine overflows when the water valve is turned on. The machine itself is not even running when this happens.
    The water overflow is dirty.We have to leave the water turned off to prevent further flooding.
    We are not currently living in this house. It is a house in MO in a very rural area.
    Any ideas?
    Thank You,
    Lisa
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 25, 2006, 01:11 PM
    It seems like the problem is not in the plumbing, but rather in the machine itself. A standard washer has its water supply lines open at all times, and the washer has its own internal valves so that it can turn the water on and off as necessary. In your case, it seems that one or both of the washer's internal valves has gone to the Big Plumbing Supply In The Sky (either it failed completely, or it's just stuck).

The bad news is, since it's a fixture-specific problem, we can't tell you how to fix it, since it will vary from brand to brand. You could try posting your brand/model of washer here and maybe someone here who is familiar with it can help you; otherwise, you may either have to call a repairman, or buy a new machine.

Just my two cents.
    Moishe
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jan 25, 2006, 05:32 PM
    If the water continues running when the washer is unplugged, the water valve is stuck open. This is usually, but not always, due to mineral deposits in the valve.

Although unlikely, if the water stops coming in when the washing machine is unplugged, the likely culprit is in the timer mechanism or a short in the water valve solenoid or wiring harness. You will have to determine which of these is the cause. Likely, you will need to call a repairman.

STOP! If you are uncomfortable working on electrical appliances, you should contact a repairman. If you elect to jump in, make SURE you inplug the washing machine BEFORE you even think about opening up the case. Do NOT plug the machine back in until everything is connected back appropriately and the case is buttoned back up.

If the water valve is stuck, the best course of action is to replace the water valve. You may be able to free the valve temporarily by rapping on the valve body sharply (I have often used the handle of a screwdriver to perform this trick - don't beat on it too hard, it can shatter the valve body.)

If the screwdriver handle trick works - order a new valve. It will stick again, likely the next time you run the machine. This little test just helps isolate the problem and provides an interim fix while you wait for the valve to arrive.

Replacement usually involves unplugging the eletrical supply to the valve solenoids (make sure you hook the new one up exactly the same way); a hose clamp holds the supply tube to the valve. Unclamp the hose, and put on the new valve.

Depending on make and model, procedure for replacement can vary. Search for the model number and make on a search engine - you'd be surprised how many repair manuals are online.

You should also be able to locate the replacement parts online as well.

Good luck!

Stew

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine drain overflow [ 11 Answers ]

We recently built an addition onto our house which includes a laundry room. The plumber installed a washer box with valves and 1.5" drain about 3' from floor. The maytag washer has overflowed right from day one. I have seen some of your replies to other people with this problem and they include...

Washing machine drain overflow [ 17 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the drain pipe overflows even after I successfully flushed the drain line with a bladder and power hose. I also flushed the vent system, but there is still overflow. What now coach?:confused:

Kenmore Washing Machine Overflow Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just found this forum, and I'm really glad I did. I hope someone here can help me figure out this problem. I have a 3 year old Kenmore 2-Speed washer and it washes clothes just fine. The only problem is that it overflows when the water is draining. When this first began to happen, I...

Washing Machine Drainpipe Overflow [ 2 Answers ]

My PVC drainpipe for my washing machine is overflowing. Is there a good product to unclog?

Kenmore Elite Washing Machine overflow [ 0 Answers ]

My washing machine is leaking water from below before it gets to the drain cycle. Is this a water level switch problem and if so where can I find it? I don't believe there were any error codes.

View more questions Search