Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JH1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Fixing a 'spongy' floor joist
    My floor joists are 2 x 10's spaced 16". The span is 14 feet. The joists, sill plates, beam, piers and block wall all appear to be in good condition. The crawlspace is bone dry and has been for the 4 years I have lived here.

Here's my problem/question:
    I just got a new wall-sized entertainment unit with a big TV (finally got the wife to cave in). This unit is in the room in the same direction as the joists - the length of the unit is parallel to the floor joists. The problem is that the darn thing wobbles or bounces when someone walks past it. How can I stop this bouncing?

Sistering the joist is the common solution but I would like to avoid removing the crawl access well and digging a trench simply to get (1) 14' 2x10 into the crawlspace.

Would using strips of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed to the joist be an effective and easier solution for this problem? BallengerB1 offered this solution to a similar but different issue here some time ago. I'm hoping to get feedback from someone who has tried it - if it doesn't work, removing it sounds like a pain if I end up sistering anyway.

Thanks in advance!
    Jim
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 07:37 PM
    you could sister the joist, or place two 4 x 4 beams perpendicular to the existing joist supported by blocks. But there again, you will be tunnelling.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Well, I don't think sistering a additional joist to the one now under the entertainment unit is going to solve you problem. It is the entertainment unit that is bouncing and not the TV isn't it? It might help a little but I have doubts that it will really effect the situation. The vibration is being created out in the room where the person is walking. You do not have carpet do you? It is being transmitted through the flooring and subflooring to the unit. An additional joist would mitigate that some but not much. The unit is probably not completely flat on the floor. It probably has a corner or end that is a little off the floor or at least not carrying its fair share of the weight. I would look at getting as much floor contact as I could with shims before crawling up under the house. Or find some nice area or throw rug to put under it.
    GLEIGHVAH Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Feb 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Try Posting Up The Joists In The Middle .

Instead Of A 2x10x14' Use A 4x4x2' Or However Tall The Crawlspace Is .
    JH1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Gleighvah & Mowerman -- I actually considered variations of each of your suggestions. Stacking up blocks to support a small jack and then using a short 4x4 - this would at least let me know if a similar, more permanent solution do the job.

Hkstroud - Actually the room is carpeted but you do bring up an interesting point. While the movement is worse when walking close to the unit (of course) it does sometimes occur when someone is farther away - i.e.. My 10 & 12 year olds bouncing through the middle of the room. Maybe I do need to address more than just the joist or 2 that are supporting the unit (BTW - it's roughly 6.5' tall x 9' wide x 2' deep - solid and very heavy)

Thanks all for the input! Keep it comin' please!
    GLEIGHVAH Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Feb 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Can You Secure The Unit To The Wall?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guidelines for drilling a floor joist [ 29 Answers ]

We need to run some 12/2 Romex through the floor joists of a newly built home. Can we drill the floor joists wherever we see fit, or are there limits?

Spongy floor joists causing sagging floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. In front of my fireplace there is a small tiled area. This is surrounded by hardwood which runs throughout the living room. The floor on the sides of the tile has dropped slightly below the level of the tile (about 1/8" or so). The wood floor around the tiles is also a bit spongy when...

New shower tray drain is on floor joist---yikes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, am pretty handy but currently could use some advice. A new rectangular shower kit arrived, glass doors, tray and all but upon lining the tray up to the studs, cutting the floor below to refit the drain and its trap I find the shower tray drain lines up exactly on the top of a floor joist. ...

Floor joist conflicts with lag bolt head [ 2 Answers ]

I'm building a "mud room" inside our garage. The width is 5' (13' length) and the joists are 2x6 24" o.c. I have ledger on both sides. My issue is that in 2 places I have lag bolts at the edge of the joist, so it gets in the way of the joist and the hanger. Some options seem to be (1)move the...

View more questions Search