Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 27, 2006, 01:47 AM
    I would recommend just running Anti Virus on your machine and investing in an Internet Gateway Router box.

Quote Originally Posted by from previous post
    Basically its a box that connects to your DSl/Cable line and shares the internet connection to your computers either via cables or wirelessly.
    This kind of setup is easy to do and comes with a whole host of security features including a dedicated hardware firewall, a must have on a Broadband connection.

Linksys make some excellent boxes that do just this.
    Here are their wireless gateways.
    DPL Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 05:33 AM
    Turned off all the AOL files in MSCONFIG and as far as I can tell, no difference. AOL still runs but PC still slow.

I'll be looking further at the Hijack thing over the weekend but on a quick look there's nothing bad to remove and most other things have a component of the file name that sounds like legit stuff.

Perhaps it is just the McAfee stuff... :(
    BossMan

Jan 27, 2006, 05:37 AM
    You say you have turned off the AOL stuff, have you tried turning EVERYTHING off ?

Also it maybe worth running your spyware scans in safe mode as this can be a lot more quick.

Jan 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Curylben

At the start of this discussion it was taking 11 minutes or so from hitting the start button to getting internet access... We had a 'clear out' from MSCONFIG start up which got us down to around 5mins 30 secs. Good progress. :)

I've now tried the following in stages, all together, in different combinations, and back to the above baseline and several times to gather data. I even tried switching on the PC with a bag over my head in case there's personal element to this. Here's the bottom line...

* Unchecking EVERYTHING in MSCONFIG improves the time to around 5min 10secs but partially disables McAfee.
    * Disabling virus scan... no change
    * Disabling anti-hacker... no change
    * Disabling spamkiller... no change
    * Disabling firewall... no change
    * With the bag over my head... incremental 5 hours as I tripped and knocked myself out :eek:

So, in MSCONFIG I've checked the McAfee files again and abled the McAfee protection and I'm back at 5min 30 secs.

Still 3min 30secs over what you thought was a good target?
    BossMan

Jan 27, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Sorry to hear about that.
    If you want your speed back to somewhere it should be a complete rebuild is in order !

Time to back up all you important data, find all your install CD's and go for it ;)

Good luck

Jan 27, 2006, 10:59 AM
    I joined the forum yesterday...

Here's what I know...

* Several people jumped in to join me within a couple of minutes of posting.:)
    * My start up time has reduced from over 11 minutes to around 5 minutes. Seems a pretty good improvement to me.:)
    * I know a lot more about what makes pc's run slow and what doesn't.:)
    * I know how to do more advanced maintenance and what to monitor.:)
    * I know where to ask for advice. :)

Here's what I don't know

* Where the hell is Ankh-Morpork? :eek:
    BossMan

Jan 27, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Here's Ankh-Morpork for those that don't know ;)

There's more about it Here

Jan 28, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Er, right. So it's not that you mis-spelt the name of that little village just outside Berwick-upon-Tweed then.

In simple terms, because I'm a simple bloke, what would re-installing achieve? I guess I mean what might be put in that should be there but might no longer there, what might be taken out that shouldn't be there and , if so, how did it get there in the first place... and so on.

I can take engines out of cars, rebuild them and put them back in and they work. DIY? No sweat. Squash and 5-a-side? With only one arm and one leg if necessary (though I'm pushing the age thing now). Solve my daughter's boy friend troubles? Easy. Backing up and uninstalling the OS? Serious stuff. Nightmare stuff. End-of-the-world stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Computer clock running slow [ 6 Answers ]

:)My computer time idicater reading has just recently started to read two hours slow on the display. I reset it, and it will read OK for a short time then resume to read two hours slow again. How do I correct this? Is it a clock battery wearing out or?

Computer running verrryyy SLOW [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows XP & Until a week ago everything was FINE. Then all of a sudden my computer would freeze on me and totally lock up. :mad: I ran a driver update and updated all my drivers that had better updated drivers. It did stop freezing up, but it is slower than EVER and I have high speed...

Computer running very slow [ 2 Answers ]

Ive already run all the major Spyware checkers and found nothing using Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy. Also ran the scan within the latest ZoneAlarm and TrendMicro Anti-Virus. Here is my Hijack log. Computer is only 3 months old 3.0 Ghz. ...

Computer running real slow, speed isn't as fast as before [ 2 Answers ]

My comp is running real slow now, dun noe what has happened Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 12:59:44 PM, on 24/02/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe...

Slow running cold water [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story, and I appologize for the length: I live in a newer trailer house (fiance owns it). I believe it's a '92 or '94, or close to there. The trailer court that the house is located in is on a private well for the entire court. I know the water is fairly hard since I used to have to...

View more questions Search