Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Feb 23, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Cleaning interior walls before painting.
    Hello I'm about to clean some interior walls before some workmen come in and paint them in an old house I'm renovating.
    They were white/ivory and are now very discolored and in parts very grimey.They have a flat finish.
    Any suggestions on how I should clean them ?
    Thanks in advance.
    C.
    thegandyman Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Feb 23, 2008, 06:36 PM
    You may need to degrease if it's in a kitchen or something, Your painters should be doing all that though.
    Otherwise, just clean them so they're clean and dust free.
    Nothing special need be done.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 05:28 AM

Go to a hardware store and ask them for
    Some sugar of soap.
    This is what we call it in Australia.
    Good luck.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 2, 2009, 09:24 AM

I'd just run a drywall sanding pad over the walls to knock down any bumps, then paint away. If it was a kitchen and there are any signs of grease, some chemicals to cut it may be necessary.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Hi all...

I recommend sanding the wall lightly as Amricca has stated to "knock down any bumps", and if there is any grease/grime on the walls then you will want to wash the walls down with TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate... see pic.) before painting. TSP is available at all home improvement stores in either powder or liquid form.

Stuff works great, but wear gloves as it can burn sensitive skin. Check out this link for more info.:

AOL Search

Read the third bulleted statement on the box below... ;)

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frost on interior walls [ 17 Answers ]

We've been in our home for nearly three years. Don't ask me how I've noticed this before but we actually get frost on a couple of areas of the downstairs walls. Also there is a lot of cold air moving around the bottom of the baseboards in the downstairs. Anyone know causes and solutions for...

Removal of plaster from interior brick walls [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had success removing plaster from interior brick walls to expose the brick beneath? Would like to have the brick as the finished surface when removal is complete. It looks like a major portion of the plaster can be removed with a flat shovel. Are chemicals needed to remove the rest, or...

Faced Insulation on Interior walls [ 3 Answers ]

I'm doing a remodel of my kitchen and family room. I would like to add some insulation to some interior walls to control sound. I have some left over rolls of faced insulation from another project. Is there any reason you can't use faced insulation on interior walls? Thanks Scott

Painting interior walls [ 2 Answers ]

Does painting an interior wall with two coats of paint instead of only one change the color. For example, does it make the wall color darker, deeper, etc. If the wall color is brighter than you expected, will two coats of paint darken the color a little? Or are you just stuck picking another...

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

View more questions Search