Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhartley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 04:59 PM
    W-2 in State Tax state and 1099 In Non State Tax state
    Hi

I am very lost and confused. This is my first year to do my own taxes. I basically have taxes for 2 states. My question is my Drivers License is in NM my job was in AZ from Jan 2006 to Aug 2006 then from Aug 2006 to Present I live in TX. AZ has federal and state tax and TX does not just Federal. Should I file for 2 states to separate tax forms? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay a tax company.

I have a 1099 from TX and W-2 from AZ

I have Schooling from TX and student loans from AZ.

Any help would be apricated.

Thanks
    Lost and confused
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 07:42 AM
    It seems from what you are telling us that in 2006 from Jjan - Aug you lived in NM and worked in AZ, and then in Aug 2006 you moved to TX and that is where your job is has been since Aug 2006?

Your state of residence is defined by where you live (i.e. eat, sleep) most of the time - not by your driver's license. So if since Aug 2006 you have been living and working in TX then for 2006 you should have filed both a non-resident income tax for AZ for the time you worked there and part-year resident income tax for NM for the time you lived there. For 2007, if you lived and worked solely in TX then you do not need to file any sate income tax forms for 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-G state tax refund [ 1 Answers ]

Last year(2007), I amended state income tax for tax year 2004 and they refunded some amount. It was low income credit (PA forgivness credit) Also, I filed a 1040NR for Federal tax return. I heard I should have received 1099 form but I didn't receive it yet. I have a question. If I receive a...

Out of state, state tax! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Tennessee. We do not have a state tax, but he works in Kentucky. And they do have a state tax. He pays a city tax and a state tax plus his regular federal. Is any of the taxes he pays in Kentucky tax deductible in Tennessee?

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

Last year State tax refund and do I report it this year on the state tax form ? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?

View more questions Search