Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeep-1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Brass Shower Stem Not able to remove
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a leaky tub/shower faucet. I'm trying to replace the washers/orings, but I can't seem to get the inner brass stem bonnet nut off.

I've bought the 5 piece stem socket tools, but none seem to fit.

One comes close to fitting, but when I try to get leverage on it, it slips.

Any ideas on how to remove this bonnet nut?

Name:  DSC01280.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  14.3 KB
    Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 05:35 PM
    It sounds like you are trying to remove the bonnet or packing nut around the stem. That would be the first nut you see when looking in the hole. That is not what you want to remove. You want to get the wrench on the shoulders of the stem which would be the second thing you see and larger than the bonnet nut. You want to remove the entire stem and then replace washers or tighten the packing nut.

Don't forget to turn water off.
    jeep-1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 06:10 PM
    As a follow-up, here is the photo. I may have called it the wrong thing.
    Name:  DSC01280.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  14.3 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm trying to remove the price pfistevalve stem in the shower and I can't . Single [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove the old price pfister stem in the shower and I can't... single price pfister stem valve. Not sure the model or part number, just know the house is old, and the plumbing is probably old. I cannot figure out how to remove the cartridge to replace it.

Shower Stem [ 1 Answers ]

My shower stem has a slotted part behind the seat. I was told to have this part up to keep the stem from leaking. I drew a line down the stem so I would know it was upright so it would not leak when the water is on. But when I put it in and tighten it up that part is lineed up so it leaks. What can...

2" brass shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a tool that can take a 2" shower drain out without cutting the trap out? Stephen

Shower stem [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get a stem out or a shower that is stuck?

Remove faucet stem [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to repair a leaky faucet in my bathroom sink. I have removed the cap on the handle, removed the screw and pulled off the handle. I am unable to remove the stem. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is a Sayco faucet and could be 20 years old. Thank you.

View more questions Search