Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adibcanale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Mini Daschound: How many times at day?
    Hello, I have a 5 month mini daschound, its apeears to be healty. I know this kind of dogs must be under 22 lb. of weight. Then I want to know ow many time at day I have to feed him and how many cups of food need. He is eating Eukanuba small breed.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2006, 09:19 AM
    The general rule is 3 meals a day until 4 months, then 2 until at least 6 months. Many good people suggest continuing the 2 meals a day. My guess is 2 cups a day might be right, but will post a chart allowing you to work out the ideal amount. Nobody else can say what is right for him. Watch his weight very carefully, their backs are not up to too much weight.

If he isn't on adult chow, I would switch to it. The small breed puppy chow is very rich, leading to fast growth. Slower growth will give the spine more time to develop heading off the back troubles common in the long little doggies. With good care, you can enjoy him for a long time.

September 07, link to chart replaced with LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    My Lab Nita was 4 months old Sunday. I am switching her to adult chow gradually this week. As soon as I have her on all adult chow, I will start giving her less and less at lunch until none at all after a week.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Hi, adibcanale,
    Since you are using Eukanuba Small Breed, here is a link for some good information, with a table near the bottom of the page for months old, weight, and cups per day.

http://www.eukanuba.com/en_US/jhtmls...tml.4_A&_DAV=1

Quite a long web address!
    As you know, there are many different brands on the marked in the US. Most of us choose one that looks good to individual people. Eukanuba does list chicken in its ingredients first, which means there is more chicken than corn. Usually when corn is mentioned first, it means there is more corn, which sometimes, isn't a good choice for the main ingredient. For those who want to spend a little more on dog food, then ingredients will list something other than corn, such as chicken, or salmon, etc, first.
    Best of luck, and hope you are enjoying your puppy. They are GREAT!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2006, 04:43 PM
    The problems of corn in dog food are greatly exaggerated. It mostly comes from people selling higher priced chows and those not applying critical thinking skills to what they read. There is also a strong element of ''If it is more expensive, it must be better for my dog''. I have challenged people bashing corn to direct me to a scientific study, but none have. Most of the vets sell Hills Science Diet which has corn as the first ingredient. I do not accept the idea they are foisting off second rate dog chow on their clientele.

I have no problem with the idea that the concentrated meat based chows produce smaller firmer stools. That can be a great advantage to those that have to clean up after their dog. That is why all the service and dog guide schools I am familiar with now use them. They do not produce healthier dogs. The more food motivated dogs might prefer the bulk of the corn based chows.
    lucyreid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 04:35 AM
    Hi We have two mini daschunds a boy who is just turned 2 and a girl who is a year and a half and they are both fed 2 meals a day, approx 2 cups worth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A/C stops running some times [ 3 Answers ]

My unit runs fine for a while and then suddenly stops. When it runs, I can measure 25VAC at the thermostat. When it stops, I have no 25VAC so I can not even run the fan in manual when it stops. After sitting for several hours, the system restarts and runs fine. I have checked the main...

Looking for some people on the run. Big times [ 3 Answers ]

This person has 3 little onces and is pulling scam left to right and was told if she is caught she ain't going to live to tell just rumors. They need to be stop and put away for good. She runs with another female and 2 males. All I got is a cellular phone with her voice on it. She did me and...

How many times have you been sued? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hopping that someone can help me with this. I am trying to find out how many times a public company has been sued (e.g. Walmart, FCUK, McDonalds) Is there any website or place I can go to check into this fact? Thanks.

Round Trip times [ 4 Answers ]

My Question is if Series of Round trip times(RTT) is given.Then how can we find out The Smoothed RTT,The Deviation in RTT,The Time out interval at each value.

View more questions Search