Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tax_calculate Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Daily commute by train over 80 miles one way - tax rebate
    Hi,

I commute from Baltimore MD to Wilmington DE daily via Amtrak. The distance covered by train is over 80 miles in one direction.

Can I get tax rebate on my monthly train ticket while filing for taxes? If yes, how can I claim tax rebate? Do I need to do itemized deduction while filing taxes?

Thanks
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Generally, travel expenses to and from work are not deductible.
    tax_calculate Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Thanks.

No, I don't have business income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 01:43 PM
    While the commute is NOT tax deductible, there ARE programs to subsidize the use of public transportation to cut down on congestion.

I suggest you check into that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stimulus Tax Rebate Check [ 4 Answers ]

We have two adult children, 19 and 21, both in college and both earned over $3000 last year. We as their parents file jointly and claim them as our dependents. My question is this: Will our children get a rebate check of $600 a piece or will we get one for each of them under the $300 dependent...

Tax rebate for seniors [ 3 Answers ]

On the $300.00 tax rebate for social security seniors that make $3,000 or more Still have to file a tax return. Question is should they just fill in the line of income And send form SSA-1099. Or must they fill out the entire form. Because social Security income is unearned income in the first...

H4 tax rebate [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My annual income in the US would be $60000. I understand this is taxable at 30% amounting to $3500 per month(is this correct?). If I have 2 dependants on H4(my spouse and baby), what would be the tax rebate? How...

H4 - Tax rebate [ 1 Answers ]

My company in the US would pay me $5000. I understand this is taxable at 30% amounting to $3500 per month(is this correct?). If I have 2 dependants on H4(my spouse and baby), what would be the tax rebate? How much money would I end up in hand per month?

Tax Rebate for my Spouse [ 1 Answers ]

I was in US for the full year 2005 on L1 Visa and my wife could join me only in the month of Jan,2006 as she was expecting and the paper work for the new born in India could only be completed by Jan,2006. Can I claim tax exemptions for both of them.I don't have any SSN or ITIN for my spouse and...

View more questions Search