Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twojps Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Reviving a Peace Lily
    I took at peace lily home from my sister's funeral 2 years ago. I have about killed it. Everywhere I look online it talks about how easy they are to care for, but mine is not thriving. The leaves turn brown and now it's just down to a few short leaves, most of which are browning. I was cutting off the leaves and stems when they died, so I don't know if that was the right thing to do. Is there anyway to save this? I don't put it in direct sun & try to keep watered, letting it dry out between waterings. It hasn't flowered in a long time and I don't really care if it blooms, as long as the leaves stay green and it looks full & healthy. Should I repot it into a smaller container until it comes back to life? If so, how do I do that? I'm desperate to save this. Please help!! Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Have you ever re-potted it?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 02:52 PM
    I am no expert.

Have you read this link in your search?
    Peace Lily - Spathiphyllum

Feb 23, 2008, 02:55 PM
    No. I have never repotted it.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Thanks! Then I would suggest re-potting in a pot that is not much bigger than the root ball using fresh dry potting soil with some extra perlite mixed in. I would get rid of as much of the old soil that you can by rinsing the root ball in lukewarm water. I would also suggest putting about a half-inch or a little more layer of rocks or broken clay pot pieces at the bottom of the new pot to allow for better drainage.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 23, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Hi,
    Take your plant out of the pot and see how big the rootball is. The container should only be about an inch larger than the rootball. Check to see if there is any new growth at the base. Also, they need REALLY good drainage and a course soil.

Here's a site that might help you in getting it healthy and thriving again! Good Luck :)

GardenWeb - The Internet's Garden Community

Feb 23, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Thank you so much! If I can get this to work, when will I need to repot again?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2008, 03:02 PM
    >Two threads merged<

Feb 23, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Thanks Starbuck! What do you mean by a course soil?
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:05 PM
    I would suggest re-potting about once a year in the spring or summer when the plant is most actively growing.

Feb 23, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Thanks again Clough. Is it possible to keep it in the same pot and just split the plant when it starts getting bigger? I really like the pot that it is in and the size of the pot. Can I just put fresh soil in it once a year and thin it out?
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:11 PM
    A course soil would be one where there are large air pockets between solid particles. This can be accomplished by amending the soil with something like perlite, as I have already mentioned above. I do want to add, that I did mention fresh soil in a post above. By fresh, I mean the kind that you will get in bags at a garden supply or nursery of some kind.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twojps
    Thanks again Clough. Is it possible to keep it in the same pot and just split the plant when it starts getting bigger? I really like the pot that it is in and the size of the pot. Can I just put fresh soil in it once a year and thin it out?
    Yes, you can divide it. If you really like the pot that it was in, then maybe the new pot might fit inside the old pot? Just a thought for you...

Feb 23, 2008, 03:16 PM
    My pot sits inside a lined basket and I'm reading elsewhere that this may not be good for it. Any ideas? Also, what do you think about hydroculture?
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:27 PM
    If the pot is sitting inside a basket that is lined with plastic, I don't see where there would be a problem with that except that maybe the roots might not aerate enough and remain too soggy. I have not tried hydroculture with a Peace Lily. But, it is my understanding that they do well in it.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:30 PM
    twojps make sure that you are not watering it too much.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 23, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Using equal parts of a potting soil, sand or vermiculite, and peat moss should do the trick for good drainage. They are finicky plants and can't be either too wet or too dry, and they need lots of good light. Also, don't place them anywhere near a heat vent or a draft. Most plants don't like that anyway, but Peace Lilies get really touchy! I was a florist for over 20 yrs, and seemed to revive most that started to brown up. Although some say they are an easy plant to care for, they do need a lot of care.

Feb 23, 2008, 03:47 PM
    I truly appreciate everyone's input and am excited to try the suggestions and save my plant!
    turfman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 05:19 PM
    The plant 'Peace Lily' or Spathiphyllum plant is a water plant. They thrive in damp locations in the wild. Inside, they require a different approach. They need to slightly dry between waterings. This plant is very obvious because the leaves will droop when it is thirsty. When you notice this, give it some water and they will perk up in a couple hours. I would not repot the plant unless the soil it is in is BAD. By repotting a struggling plant, you cause it to incur some stress by taking it out of its home and roughing it up a bit, and then putting it into some dry medium. I would first try to get the plant healthy and happy before repotting. It is hard to really discern what exactly is causing its decline, but it could be too wet or it was allowed to become too dry and has since been overwatered:confused: I hope this helps.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Turfman, it seems that perhaps Clough was just addressing what might be a good idea for the Peace Lily that Twojps asked about in his first posted question and not referring to all interior plants. I may have missed something but that seems to be what he was addressing.

I love reading all the above posts however, since, rather than having a "green thumb", mine seems to be a "purple thumb". LOL

I have four Peace Lilies and the suggestion to soak them really well, with a drainage by way of pebbles, rocks, or broken clay pieces works well. I then let them go almost dry. In fact, when the plant begins to look a little wilted, I might wait a day or two before resoaking but I do totally soak it, not just water it until my watering can is empty. I don't let it stand in water but do soak them generously. Also, I use (not on sick plants, only on healthy ones) a liquid product called Miracle Gro All Purpose Plant Food for all Houseplants. I squeeze about 13 to 15 drops to a quart of water in my watering can. I also, periodically, get warm water from the tap, in a bowl with a folded paper towel or clean cloth (soak it) and gently wash each leaf. It makes the appearance so beautiful and shiny but I believe also helps in the health of the plant so it can breath better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peace and quite! For how long? [ 4 Answers ]

After 6 yrs I ask my wife to leave our home?which she did after I paid her some cash to leave. She"s always depress and complains about everything? She has it made.we live in a great spot in conn. Her child hood came back to haunt her.she had a child at 14 and took off had another at 20 and took...

Lily Allen [ 6 Answers ]

Anyone give her a listen? I've had "Alfie" in my head all stinkin day! :p

How can I find inner peace? [ 13 Answers ]

Since I was a little girl, my family has been difficult. My father, an emotionaly and physically abusive alchohalic, has made me scared to come home at night since I was a little girl . My mother, clingy controlling and erratic, and still will not let me move out (I am 19). And now at the ripe...

I am not at peace. [ 4 Answers ]

I used to be rockstar till the age 24... popular and loved and in command of my own life.. Then I discovered l.s.d, and abused it for months... I have quit all drugs and substances, I am 29 now... but I suffer from extreme mood swings, and depressive states. Sometimes I feel I have become...

Peace in the Church [ 11 Answers ]

Why do so many Christians ignore the peace teachings of Christ? Isn't it obvious that he did not come to establish a worldly kingdom? Yet, this administration and many of the Christians seek to bring about the kingdom through worldly mechanisms rather than through Christian living. Just...

View more questions Search