Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxigirl83 Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Feb 23, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Returning to the real world
    After a few years of being addicted to Oxycontin I have finally began an outpatient treatment program as of a few months ago. It has really served me well and helped kep me out of trouble I could have potentially put myself in, but now I am trying to take the steps it takes to create a stable life for myself financially. The problem is that I don't have many college credits. In fact I do consider myself reasonably intelligent, but scholastically I do not do well. I am unable to focus long enough to get through all the assignment, text book reading, and everything that is entailed with college. I do very well in English and writing, but math & science are not my strong suits. I am reasonably informed with different issues and topics, but I have a different style of learning. I am more of a kinesthetic learner. I have been diagnosed with adult ADHD but found treatment still did not improve my focus with subjects I had little interest in. So basically college does not seem to be for me. I really want to get a great job that will ensure me with a secure stable life since I have come this far in my recovery, but after a job interview where my interviewer essentially ripped me new one for having little college credits (mind you this job doesn't even require college she just prefers it) I feel very insecure, and hopeless because I just don'tever see college success in my future. What kind of jobs can a 25 year old woman get that pay well enough, give enough hours, with insurance benefits that is not being a server? Or a cashier? I need advice...
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
    You may have to start as a cashier or server in some type of chain, then work your way up to a management position. That would probably be your best bet.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
    You could try getting a small job in the cafeteria or janitor at a college that has courses you might someday be interested in taking. Many colleges give people that work there a discount. So you could be making money and eventually when you feel your able to focus better start classes.
    Community colleges are good. Find a subject you can relate to maybe drug rehabilitation, social disorders, art, photography, creative writing, social issues, journalism,
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Feb 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Don't be giving up on school so quickly. You may have to work harder than some to achieve good grades, however, what's wrong with that?

Listen, Oxycontin addiction is one of the hardest things to overcome, look at the progress you've made so far, you think college will be any different?

I know a guy that is addicted to the drug, he's a pharmacist, very well educated. He went to re-hab like you and relapsed 3 days after he got out, you have months, you have yourself to thank for that.

Too much negative talk in your post, your stonger than you think.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 12:54 PM
    There are many great jobs working at local colleges, in office, working in maintenance, ( most have great benifits)

Security guards, there are many sales positions
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Working your way up in a company is a good idea. Perhaps you can find a growing company with lots of opportunities and do that. If you're a hard worker and easy to get along with, companies can always use people like that! Also, don't give up on school yet! You have accomplished so much in staying clean and getting help for yourself. You've been through a lot, and you might not feel up to college right now, but perhaps in the future you will. Also, sometimes doing volunteer work can help you find a good job. It's a good way to get references, network, and always something good to put on a resume. I volunteered at a charity store for several years, and actually ended up getting a really great job because I had the experience managing it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 01:12 PM
    I applaud you in how far you have come!

What about applying for a part-time (your foot in the door) or even full-time (if available) job at a public library? You are qualified to work at the circulation desk in either adult or children's department and in tech services where books etc. are ordered, received, and processed. Even just getting your foot in the door shelving books might be enough to start. You will work with the public but not as a doormat (most people think the world of library staff members) plus it will look good on a resume and as you search for better paying jobs in the future.

As for college, talk with the admissions or counseling office (free!) at your local community college. They deal with all kinds of learners/students and may have some wonderful suggestions for you. You could earn a useful certificate in something or an associate's degree and then consider going on to get a bachelor's.

Please let us know how things are going.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 11:31 PM
    I too, applaud you for how far you have already come in your recovery! One question that I have for you is, what skills, talents or other interests do you have that you might use to market yourself for possible jobs?

Feb 25, 2008, 01:41 AM
    I have people skills, writing, reading,typing(to a certain degree) I'm afraid that customer service is all I really have to offer at this time since I have no special training or skills other that a couple quarters at the local community college.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 01:46 AM
    I have an idea for you! ;)

Feb 25, 2008, 01:49 AM
    OK Im here so assuming you are being serious what is your idea
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 01:52 AM
    I am being serious. And, there is an industry that just might be suitable to the skills that you have right now.

Do you like to travel? And, are you able to travel?

Feb 25, 2008, 02:01 AM
    No not really I am staying in seattle and have no intentions nor the ability to travel outside of 25 miles of my home.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 02:03 AM
    Okay. 25 miles may be far enough for the type of job that I am suggesting. Do you like to work one-on-one with people and/or with very small groups, say three to seven people?

Feb 25, 2008, 02:05 AM
    I guess it really doesn't matter I am used to working in a large group like I said customer service, seeing the public daily it's not my favorite but it doesn't really phase me.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 02:10 AM
    When I was down and out in my life and also career a number of years ago, someone offered me a job selling portrait products for church directories. Doing that did help to turn my life around some.

Are you familiar with that kind of industry?

It could also involve selling portrait products for school photography. It really isn't hard to do. And, the companies are always looking for people to work. The potential for good pay can be really great!
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Okay. I can see that you are now offline from this site. I just wanted to propose a possibility for a career for you in an industry that is always looking for workers; where they might not be so strict in the policies about who they hire and where the opportunities could be great as far as making a gainful living doing the job. I know some people who have been in the work of a sales consultant or photographer in the church or school photography business for years and do quite well at it. You could be in sales or photography. The companies typically will be willing to train you to do either of those types of positions.
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Feb 25, 2008, 04:23 AM
    First of all, give yourself all the credit in the world for kicking a really tough addiction. Second of all, forget interviewers who want to "rip you a new one" for not having college credits.

Start as a cashier but inquire about management positions... how long do you need to be there, what are the chances etc.

See a doctor about ADHD and then give a college course another go. Get the paperwork done that recognizes ADHD as a disability and you get more time on exams etc.

It's not all bleak. There is plenty you can do with your background. I worked as a retail manager and a computer programmer (self-taught) long before I went to college. You can do this!!
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
    A possibility is working in a trade... along the lines of a carpenter, paint stylist, wallpaper hanger, landscaping helper... all kinds of home improvement skills. You could start by being an apprentice to someone in the business.

You can make good money once you are up and running and get a good reputation in the community... and, you don't have to work in an office environment, you are on your own making something beautiful and getting a lot of exercise at the same time.

Do that for a few years, follow your program, and see where life leads you as you live and grow.

Best wishes in 2008,
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Customer Service is a great start, but don't give up on college, like others have said, you may just have to work harder, or take it part time, say one course a few days a week, and work on it this way, what about a technical school, that would teach you more in the hands on fashion. A lot of tech colleges have all sorts of programs that might interest you, and a lot of them test you and let you know what you do do best at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divided attention in the real world [ 2 Answers ]

An example of divided attention is driving while speaking to someone on a cell phone. Another real life, everyday example of divided attention would be?

The returning ex [ 7 Answers ]

Well, so I had this ex boyfriend who basically crushed my heart, and got a new girlfriend. However, she left him about 2 months ago, and he was depressed over her for some time, but now he seems fine. Recently, we decided to become friends and I let go of my grudge. But also he calls and texts me...

Returning something important [ 15 Answers ]

Hi my friends. Just wanted some of your valued advice on a situation I find myself in. Whilst doing some much needed cleaning of my cupboard over the weekend I come across something that belongs to my ex. Well many things actually. Most of them aren't important things and I won't even bother...

Returning parent! [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 16 and has never had any contact with his biological father. The other day his father came into the place where I work, big shock, and started asking after his son. He was with his new family, girlfriend and daughter, and it was a chance meeting. He asked for my telephone number and I...

View more questions Search