Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgar08 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Audio Cassette Stuck in Sony TC-WR545 Tape Deck
    Does anyone know how to release tapes from a dual well component tapedeck? The deck (approx. 15 years old) has never given any problems, but I ejected a cassette from drive A (left side) and put another in. The deck wouldn't play, nor would it eject the cassette. Drive B (right side) was operational, until I ejected the cassette that was in and put another one in. Then, it was as dead as side A. Now I have two inoperable tape drives and can't eject the cassettes from either. I've already broken one of the covers, but that got me no closer to a solution of extracting the tape. Any help would be appreciated!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 11:40 AM
    You may have to do some dissassembly to fix, Go slowly, don't force anything, remember where things went
    cdjunkie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Funny--I have the very same problem with the very same deck (I've left it in this condition for the past several months). Perhaps because the deck is 15+ years old?
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 12:17 PM
    I would suspect the belts, look for any small motors and missing belts. You may be able to manualy turn a wheel or gear till it ejects.
    mgar08 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Thanks. It's definitely because it's 15 years old, I just wish my daughter's harry potter cassette wasn't stuck in there! I'll disassemble it and see which belts need replacing. But the important thing is to get the tape out.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 01:06 PM
    If you find the gear lacking belt you may be able to turn many times to eject.
    Use to be a Company PRB Recorder or something like that had belts, I will take a quick look.
    I'm back, found this: New Page 1
    canfixit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Amazing! I just had exactly the same failure that Mgar08 and cdjunkie had, in exactly the same order. Has anyone discovered a good fix for this yet? This TC-WR545 deck has really been super and I'd like to keep it working. I don't even know if decks like this are still being sold. Thanks
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 09:32 AM

canfixit, What have you tried, dissembly?
    canfixit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 08:14 AM

Haven't tried anything yet. Are there belts in there for sure?
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 03:26 PM

May not be belts, could be gears, with dissembly you may see what needs to be turned manually to unload should a motor be defective.
    masterbigrah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
    I have the same problem with my Sony TC-550Z which is probably 10 years old. I disassembled the deck and found a while plastic latch that I can depress and then eject the door via the eject button (same method for either side). Once a cassette is in either side, it will not play, rewind or fast-forward. I then need to use the same method to get the cassette out. I'd love to get this working as it's been a great deck. Thanks
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2009, 05:38 AM

Any missing belts?
    masterbigrah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Any missing belts?
    No missing belts that I can see but a loose or missing belt issue seems to be the consensus. I'll take it apart and advise
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2009, 08:18 AM

For Belts:
    Russell Industries - Capacitors
    And look here:
    Russell Industries - PRB - EVG - EMPIRE - CONCO - DOWNLOAD
    Then click on PRB Line
    ldonahue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Hi! I actually have one of these units in a box. I did plug it in once, but never used it. I think I'm going to try to sell it. Any suggestions on price and/or if anyone is interested, please let me know! I can be reached at LDonahue at practice dot com.
    Yifinguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 08:03 PM
    Here is an answer to getting the tapes out. Mine has the same problem. Remove the four lid screws from each end and lift the lid straight up. When you push on the eject buttons look inside -- just above the tabs that are pressed inside there is a small white piece of plastic above that which can be pushed downward lightly and, presto, the doors open. But that sadly, doesn't make the unit play tapes any more.
    JT1900 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Same thing exactly. It was plaing, changed tapes and then dead... as in the same order as entioned. The wheels keep turning and it's the repetitive sound: thunk thunk thunk... then E for error comes up... dont think its motor... how about heads: cleaning / demagnetizing... any body have any idea at this point how to manage this except toss it out for recycling?
    Dbay Bill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
    It's the belts - had the same problem. Brought a second-hand unit on Ebay as a replacement, seller said unit in good condition but after one play developed same problem. A mate stripped both units down to discover both had belt problem. 'A' deck controls 'B' deck. 'A' belt goes so both decks jamb. My problem is replacement belts! Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Bill
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2013, 04:40 AM
    Bill, try the links in my Nov '09 post above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony CFD-V8 Radio Cassette Recorder [ 1 Answers ]

The CD player is playing when it's turned upside down but there is no pickup standing in the right position. Has this anything to do with the laser pickup alignment? Can that be fixed or do I have to buy a new laser component?

Tape deck hook up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Bang and Olufsen tape deck that has a round 7 pin plug,smaller then a 3 pin mike plug. No jack like that on the back of my recever Any help ? Thanks Dan

Recording a cassette tape... [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to record a cassette tape onto the computer and then putting that recorded song on a blank cd via cd-burner? Thanks

View more questions Search