Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpdave Posts: 27, Reputation: 4

Feb 23, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Tips on what to do when we bring our baby home
    My partner is into her 36th week of pregnancy and we have gone to the antenatel classes and all that stuff, but what I really want to know is, what do you do when you get back home with your new child? Some tips would be nice please.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Don't wake it up when it is sleeping!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Feed the baby when its hungry, change the diapes when they are wet or messy. Love them.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
    The first 12 months is more about YOU learning to speak its language than the other way around. Don't attribute your own world view / perspective on the baby until its 3-4 YEARS old. Until then, you absolutely MUST be a student of what IT is saying/doing.

That is your best gift to your new child - a willingness to study and discover its messages to you.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    The first 12 months is more about YOU learning to speak its language than the other way around. Don't attribute your own world view / perspective on the baby until its 3-4 YEARS old. Until then, you absolutely MUST be a student of what IT is saying/doing.

That is your best gift to your new child - a willingness to study and discover its messages to you.
    The first 12 to 18 months is about figuring out what they want. You already know what they need. They will let you know most of the time what they want when they want it. Keep a close check on diapers, a supply of corn starch and desitin. I do not agree with waiting until the child is 3 to 4 years old to give them your views. Studies show that the best way to develop your child's vocabulary is to either read to them, or just talking a lot to them increases their vocabulary, which is working their brain. The classrooms today are teaching at much earlier stages than it did even just 5 years ago. You must have your child ready for either Headstart, or Kindergarten when the time comes. So I disagree with waiting until your child is 3 or 4 years old to begin being very informative in intellectual conversation.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Feb 23, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Well, it's going to spend most of it's time sleeping, eating, or pooping, so with the spare time... SLEEP!!
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Feb 23, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Be prepared to go without sleep!
    I don't have kids, but I do have a sister who's 10 years younger than me. New babies are pretty simple to deal with, but exhausting!
    Keep them clean, give them food, let them rest. Talk to them and listen to their first gurglings. As their motor functions kick into gear (don't expect too much too fast), give them things to stimulate their co-ordination and imagination.
    Also, a parent, friend or neighbour on standby babysitting duty is a fantastic way for the two of you to get a bit of shut-eye.
    You'll be fine. Congratulations!

Kal
    helpdave Posts: 27, Reputation: 4

Feb 24, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Thanks to everyone who has shared their views. It is appreciated.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Feb 24, 2008, 07:29 AM
    50/50 all the way, that's what I say.

The best thing we did to keep our sanity was taking turns on baby duty :)

Oh, and not letting the baby sleep with us... that came later, lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tips on how to bring on Labour [ 42 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I feel asthough I've tried everything possible to bring labour on but had not luck so far. Ive tried castor oil (Gave me the poops) pineapple, sex, long walks and massages but nothing has worked. Has anyone got any other suggestions? I would really be...

Son wants to bring children home. [ 6 Answers ]

My son is in the USAF. In Jan 2007 he was shipped to Iraq. My daughter-in-law ( in AZ), who just found out she was pregnant with second child, went home to her mother's house ( NY). I sent her money to help . She assured me she was going back to him in May, when he was due home from Iraq. She has...

What happens if home can't or doesn't bring payoff? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a scenario here that I have questions about. Let's say you have a home that has a first mortgage balance of $182,000.00 and a home equity line/second balance of $65,000.00 for a total lien of $247,000.00. The realestate appriasal is $285,000.00. This leaves $38,000.00 in equity available on...

View more questions Search