Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockhoppermom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 10:10 AM
    10 year old son obsessed with friend
    My 10 year old son seems to be obsessed with a friend of his. Our lives revolve around whether this other kid can play or not. If he cannot my son doesn't want to leave the house, or wants to hurry home if we are out so that he will be available the minute this other kid can play. This is not a shared feeling; the other kid also age 10 makes it very apparent (at least to me) that my son is his last priority. For example, recently another neighborhood child (girl age 8) could have one friend over only, this other boy had the choice to be the one friend that she could have over or hang out with my son, he opted to go to this girl's house. While these incidents (and they happen frequently) discourage my son, he still seems to have this obsession. He has played 1 to 2 sports every year all of his life, but didn't want to play anything this year because that would take away from his time playing with this kid. He gives up food, sports, other activities so he can wait for this kid to play, and waits around patiently for him to come back home while this other kid goes off to spend time (nights) with all his other friends. It seems very unhealthy to me and I don't know how to make it stop.

A bit more background, my son has a LD, in the area of reading and I held him back in kindergarten because he didn't seem to have the maturity needed to advance. I have read where kids with LD's can have social problems and feelings of loneliness and wonder if he is overly obsessed with this friend to keep from being alone. (although he is alone most of the time anyway)

He has only had an obsession like this at one other time and it was with a girl that was his "girlfriend" in kindergarten and then she didn't like him after about 2 weeks but he was smitten with her for the next 3 years. He talked about her all the time, talked about their futures etc things a normal kid that age wouldn't be so focused on, it seemed peculiar but didn't monopolized his every waking moment like his current obsession does.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 10:17 AM
    I would put him into some kind of group activity, even if he resists. Maybe boyscouts or something along those lines.

This is not healthy and you need to put a stop to it. Have you sat down with him and talked to him about it? You have to find some way to introduce him to other kids. Does he get along with anyone at school? Maybe have someone else over for a "play date" he's got to socialize with others and stop focusing on just one person.

I can sort of understand why the other child doesn't want to spend allot of time with your son, at 10, it must be very overwhelming to have someone so obsessed with you. Neither one is to blame, but if your son is ever going to have a normal friendship with anyone then he needs to learn to stop obsessing. Good Luck.
    MiaMamma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 04:15 PM
    I know your post was so many years ago, but what you have described is my 9 year old to a T. Uncanny, I was wondering if you would have any advice given you have gone through this and 5 years have passed? Hoping you are still able to receive replies. Thank you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaMamma View Post
    I know your post was so many years ago, but what you have described is my 9 year old to a T. Uncanny, I was wondering if you would have any advice given you have gone through this and 5 years have passed? Hoping you are still able to receive replies. Thank you.
    The poster of this thread posted once, and then never returned. That happens a lot on sites like this, they're called one hit wonders. It's unlikely that the poster will come back.

If you want advice, it's best to start your own thread, and not post on old threads for advice. Posting on old threads bumps them to the top, which really isn't necessary since the question was answered a long time ago. Bumping them to the top bumps newer questions down, questions that actually need attention and advice.

Reading old threads for info is great, and recommended, but please refrain from posting on them.

Thanks, and welcome to the site. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 14 year old son [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am writing this to ask for some advice my son who is only 14 and he is very aggressive and he is on cannibis and he got arrested today and they told me to find some councilling for him as they think it is to do with his dad dying 4and a half years ago but I didn't think it was so could you...

What can I do for my 14 year old son ? [ 5 Answers ]

Is There Anyone Who Homeschools Children Other Than Their Own In Miami,fl?

My 16 year old son seems to have given up [ 19 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old widow who lost her husband 7 months ago... my son is 16.. he is not dealing with it well.. doesnt want to go to school anymore.. wont seek help.. doesnt see his friends anymore.. stays in his room... I don't know what to do.. I have tried everything! Can someone give me some...

Changes in 20 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in need of some advice before I drive myself crazy. I have a 20 year old son. He is adopted and was my Nephew from my husband side. He was in 5th grade when he came to live with us. His biological parents were and still are heroin/crack/alcohol addicts. From the time he came to live...

13 year old son [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I feel like we have gotten caught up in the new way of parenting teens. However, we want to go back and raise his son with the same values as we were both raised. We just don't want to go overboard and be too strict. Should a 13 year old be allowed to go to the movies, rodeo,...

View more questions Search