Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolce5287 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 10:03 AM
    If supplies expense is a debit? What account gets credited?
    I am having a problem with understanding what account gets credited if the supplies expense is a debit.

In the problem, there is a supplies expense of 0, but after adjustments the supplies expense is 3300. There is no supplies payable account; only accounts payable, interest payable, rent payable.

What account gets credited?

PLEASE HELP!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 05:06 PM
    This is sounding like an adjusting entry to me, but I could be wrong about that. The "proper" way to do it is to put your supplies into an asset account when they are purchased. Then you would expense the used portion at the end of an accounting period. That entry consists of a debit to Supplies Expense and a credit to the Supplies account, for the amount used. But you'd either have to know how got used, or know how much is left over and the subtract to get the used portion. (i.e. where did the 3300 come from?) If this is for homework, I'm sure that's probably what you're supposed to be doing.

If this is a real company, many times they directly expense the supplies purchased, rather than putting it into an asset account. In fact, every place I've ever worked that's what we did. Since you seem to be looking for a payable account, it makes me wonder if that's not what you're doing. If that's the case, it just goes into Accounts Payable if you've put it on credit. There wouldn't be a separate supplies payable account. Accounts Payable is for all your everyday normal stuff with suppliers and vendors. We use separate payable accounts for stuff like salaries, taxes and other things that aren't normal "vendors."
    bisavr1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 05:05 AM
    The Supplies account has a preliminary balance of $6000. However, a count of the supplies
    Actually on hand indicates that the true amount of supplies is $2700. This means that the
    Preliminary balance is too high by $3300 ($6000 minus $2700). A credit of $3300 will need to be
    Entered into the asset account in order to reduce the balance from $6000 to $2700. The related
    Income statement account is Supplies Expense.

The adjusting entry for Supplies in general journal format is:

Date Account Name Debit Credit
    Dec. 31, 2009 Supplies Expense 3300
    Supplies 3300

Notice that the ending balance in the asset Supplies is now $2700—the correct amount of
    Supplies that the company actually has on hand. The income statement account Supplies
    Expense has been increased by the $3300 adjusting entry. It is assumed that the decrease in
    The supplies on hand means that the supplies have been used during the current accounting
    Period. The balance in Supplies Expense will increase during the year as the account is
    Debited. Supplies Expense will start the next accounting year with a zero balance. The balance
    In the asset Supplies at the end of the accounting year will carry over to the next accounting
    Year

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Debit expense [ 2 Answers ]

Sales (100% on credit) $950,000 Sales Returns and Allowances $21,000 Accounts Receivable (December 31) $114,000 Allowance for Doubtful Accounts (before adjustment at December31; credit balance) $1,000 If bad debts are estimated at 2% of net credit sales, what amount will...

Debit balance, debit entries, and credit entries [ 1 Answers ]

This is a silly question I'm sure, and the answer is very simple, but it is driving me crazy... The problem is: At the beginning of the year, The Office Equipment account of Gulf Coast Airlines had a debit balance of $126,900. During the year, debit entries of $23, 400 and credit entries of...

Cancelled Transaction Never Credited [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada. I just realized that on my November, 2004 credit card statement they double charged me for an item. I have a receipt attached to the statement showing both a purchase and a cancelled transaction for $299.00 on the same day from the same store. However, as far as I...

Moving Expense and Traveller Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Brief History: I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005...

View more questions Search