Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarkNat Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Kenmore Refrigerator stopped making ice
    I went through the manual and followed the troubleshooting tips but the icemaker is still not working. All the switches are on and water is hooked up. The water works and the fridge and freezer are at the proper settings. Any ideas on this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 10:05 AM
    It could be the ice maker itself or it could be the water valve. Please explain what you mean by "the water works".

Feb 23, 2008, 12:10 PM
    It is a 2 year old Elite model, forgot to mention that.

The water feature on the fridge works, there aren't any kinks or blockages. That is what I mean by the water works.

Thanks

Feb 23, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Can you find and check the water valve?
    Palmonkey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I have the same problem, it’s a Kenmore but it is older then two years, (it came with the house). I can get drinking water from the door but the ice maker does nothing. It stopped once before when I replaced the water filter but then started to work again. Alas it has since stopped working... I called Sears and they wanted 200.00 to come out. My solution for lack of a better one… Buy a bag of ice at the store for 1.00 and fill the ice container.

Feb 23, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Palmonkey, same problem I have. Works sometimes and then doesn't.

hkstroud, where do I find the water valve?

Feb 23, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Remove toe kick plate and look for it there. If all else fails pull fridge out from wall and follow water line.
    Water valve will probably look something like this.
    Attached Images

Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Kenmore refrigerator icemaker
    MarkNat - un less you know how to drain the air out of the water line it usely takes up to 24 hrs for it to start making ice , also it is better never to complety empty the ice out of the tray. I ve alwas found that 99% of the time it was always the water filler valve, that was the problem. Most of thhem are on the left back side faceing front of refrig, down on bottom watch out for the condenser fan ,it may bite . Un plug refrig. While working on it and remember which wire goes to which terminal two wires IF I have helped you with your question rate my answer below ,thanks & good day 7GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.;) :o :)

Feb 23, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Thanks for the help, I will check it out tomorrow.

Mar 2, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I pulled everything out, I don't have that style of water valve. Ours is called a "Smart Valve". I believe the ice side of this valve is non-functional and will have to be replaced.

Mar 2, 2008, 09:09 PM
    What does it look like? Can you test it by hooking it up directly to a power source?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore refrigerator [ 4 Answers ]

I have a kenmore elite trio refrigerator model 596.76523500 the freezer is working but the fridge will not drop below 67 degrees I am calling for 40 degrees

Whirlpool frig stopped making ice [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Gold (GD5RHAXNQ00) frig that just stopped making ice. The dispenser works (ice & water), it freezes/cools all the normal functions without the ice. What could it be?

Ice Maker slow making ice [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore Elite refer and the ice maker has almost quit making ice.The ice maker is part # 4317943 the freezer is about 0.0F any help will be appreciated. Randy

Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light [ 1 Answers ]

Was this issue ever resolved? I have the same problem. LbashabrannerJul 15, 2006, 09:09 PM Help, My Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light next to its on/off switch is blinking. I have replaced the pur water filter and reset the water filtration and...

View more questions Search