Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Palmonkey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Running Toilets
    Hello, I have two running toilets in my home. They both started running within days of each other. The problem is the float assembly. I keep adjusting the float and the water stops, but the next time it is flushed it will run until I again adjust the float. Could the toilet tabs I use be the cause? I have lived here just over a year.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmonkey
    Hello, I have two running toilets in my home. They both started running within days of each other. The problem is the float assembly. I keep adjusting the float and the water stops, but the next time it is flushed it will run until I again adjust the float. Could the toilet tabs I use be the cause? I have lived here just over a year.
    I'm not sure what it is that you're complaining about. Do the tanks overfill and run over into the white overflow tube? And then when you adjust the float the pronlem starts all over again and it's the same on both toilet?
    I'm going to put up two images. Tell me which one you have in your toilets.
    Regards, Tom

Feb 23, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Thanks for getting back to me… In regards to the two images I have one of each. The water continues to rise and drains down the overflow tube.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2008, 05:51 AM
    When you lift either float will this stop the water? OK! It sounds like you have had some crud enter the cold water and is now preventing the washer from seating. One at a time, shut the water off to the tank and open up the top of the ballcock. Place a can over the ballcock and turn the water back on to flush out the supply and bakkcock body. While you have the "float ball on a rod" ballcock apart take the washer out and reverse it before you reassemble it. Let me know if that helps. Good luck, Tom

Feb 23, 2008, 01:40 PM
    OK, I'm half way there... the toilet with the float ball on a rod is fixed... there was a little crud but the thing that worked was flipping the washers... but the other I can't figure out how to take apart... It is a Gerber Pilot Valve part # 99-646.

Thanks for your help!
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2008, 02:12 PM
    the other I can't figure out how to take apart... It is a Gerber Pilot Valve part # 99-646.
    The cap pulls off and you twist the top counterclockwise to take the top off. Don't forget to shut the water off before you start. After you get the top off you will see a washer with a hole in the center. Remove it and check for crud. Now cover the top with a cfan and turn the water on to flush it out. Reassemble and test flush. Good luck, Tom

Feb 24, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Hi Tom, Thanks for your continued support. I got it apart but no crud. But I did pin point the problem. I took the cap off and then the arm. The arm has a rubber disk set in it. This disk at the top of the arm is what seals the water from running… It’s not doing its job. Water continues to leak. If I press lightly on to top of the arm the water stops but when I let go it starts leaking again. There is a pin hole on the top of the arm, I tried to push the disk out a bit with a pin but the pin just sinks in the rubber. Any ideas? Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 24, 2008, 06:14 AM
    I tried to push the disk out a bit with a pin but the pin just sinks in the rubber. Any ideas? Thanks
    Pry the disc/seal, (see image) out and replace it. I don't know if a Fluidmaster #242 Replacement Seal will fitt your ball cock but check it out anyhow. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tampons and Toilets [ 35 Answers ]

My girlfriend flushes her tampons down the toilet, which I was unaware that she did. Last night, theoilet overflowed and she mentioned that the only thing she flushes down the toilet, other than the obvious, are her tampons. I told her that she shoudn't be doing that. She said all women do...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

Toilets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a low level toilet with a push button to flush it. It has stopped working and upon opening it the configuration is baffling. I need the loo. Any ideas urgently please.

Toilets [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what happens if you flush a sock down the toilet

Toilets [ 1 Answers ]

We are almost ready to buy our toilets and I was wondering which brands you have had good luck with. With the low amount of water now used for flushing I want to avoid as many problems as possible. Thanks!

View more questions Search