Ask
    pillai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2004, 08:08 PM
    DHCP servers
    Why do DHCP servers have static IP addresses
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 7, 2004, 03:23 PM
    DHCP servers
    I'm not entirely sure bt I think it's because they set themselves as the default gateway and usually the DNS server for whatever devices connect to them, and if their IP changes, the device will have to obtain new information from the router.

That would be my guess as to why routers (which are basicallyt DHCP servers) have to have static IP addresses.
    Pinay24 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2004, 10:48 AM
    Re: DHCP servers
    A DHCP server must have a Static IP Address. This means that the system running the DHCP server may not be configured to use DHCP to configure its own TCP/IP stack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two SBS Servers together? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, could anyone clarify this for me: I have two SBS servers to run together on same phsical network. One is NT and the other 2003 std. Will they fall out with each other if the domain names are different, do I need a different subnet for each domain or do they have to be physically separated...

DHCP Renewal Problem [ 20 Answers ]

I am starting with a clean install of Windows XP Professional on an HP Pavilion ZT3000 laptop with both an ethernet connection and wireless. I am on a small business network with a DHCP server that is working normally and with plenty of addresses available. I am not able to get an address on...

DHCP and more than 1 NIC. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my problem, I am running Win2k server sp4. I connect using a boot disk which pulls down a DHCP address, which works fine. I want to add more nics to my server, so I can have different people connecting to different nics, so I can get a gig throughput to each of my switches....

DHCP Server problem! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all the Experts, I have a DCHP Windows 2000 server with 2 NIC... one is connected to the DSL modem, the 2nd one is connected to the HUB. Of course I have a Verizon online DSL with A Dynamic IP address and share it with 3 windows 98 clients via a HUB. My problem is my DHCP server assign an...

View more questions Search