Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruthies50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Nonemployee compensation
    I recently won an Arbitration Award due to FMLA misconduct by my ex-employer, they paid me in 2008, yet sent me a 1099 saying they paid me in 2007, which they did write the check in 2007, but was not receieved until more than a month later. Am I going to be paying a great deal in taxes? One person says I do not have to pay since it is actually considered medical and another one says I do since it does not matter how it is reported, just that it is reported.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 23, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Hello,

I used to work an an affiliate of a large corporation (but not actually employed by them) and they reported all my earning as "non-employee compensation" and all of that income was taxable under the IRS code. I'm guessing you income was reported that way as well because you were no longer employed by that company at the time of your award; however, it is always best to check with a tax professional to be sure.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 02:24 PM
    If the check is written in 2007, that is the year it gets taxed in.

That said, I believe that the income IS taxable because it replaces lost wages that would have been taxed had they been paid.

But go to the appointment with the tax pro and tell us what HE/SHE said.
    ruthies50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Thanks! Here's what I found out: The check was written in 2007, however, not available to me until 2008, therefore the tax year for this award is 2008. I do have to pay taxes on the total amount, including the attorney's fees and costs. However... I can use those as deductions, which helps my cause a little bit anyway. So now, just waiting for the "tax man" to figure out the exact amount that I need to pay in so I can get this over with and go on with life... :D I had planned on keeping it in the bank and letting it give me a bit of interest, but the IRS mentioned early payment that would help save me a great deal in interest... works for me.

Again, thanks for the great answers! You guys rock!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 MISC NonEmployee Compensation [ 4 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc from my previous employer. I'm wondering if it is correct. Here's some more specific information regarding it: I was fired from my employer, however, as part of my severance package, they agreed to pay my health & dental insurance for 9 months. I then received a...

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation - Tips [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, While doing work as a independent contractor out of town for 10 days for a company, I tipped the hotel cleaning lady 25.00 at the end of my stay. I did not report this as an expense on my invoice to the company. Can I deduct it at all anyway? Also where it is on the federal form that I...

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of doing my taxes using TaxAct and this income has me stumped. I was laid off my job of 10 years working for a government contractor. After a few months, I was then asked to do some work out of state for another government contractor. I was not their employee, but independent...

Nonemployee compensation [ 6 Answers ]

When filing federal taxes, is schedule c the only required form to report nonemployee compensation? If there are no business expenses, will I only have to fill out my personal info and income amount>

1099 nonemployee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am GA resident, and got paid (by non profit organisation) $6k in 2006, as Non-employee compensation, reflected in 1099 box 7. No other income in 2006, no W-2. How do I pay taxes and how much... basically, what next?

View more questions Search