Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axialcompressor Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Wiring a Honeywell RTH7400 Thermostat for heat pump
    I'm replacing a 24 year old Bryant heat pump thermostat with two mercury switches, part number P271-3457 with a Honeywell RTH7400. It controls a heat pump/air conditioner with electric thermal storage (equivalent to electric resistance backup) as second stage heating. The Honeywell manual and website do not cover my situation, as all 8 thermostat wires are connected to the thermostat and there are no jumpers:

Wire Color - Old Thermostat Terminal

Red - R
    Org - O
    Yel - Y
    Grn - G
    Brn - C
    Blu - E
    Wht - W1
    Blk - W2

The Honeywell guidance only covers a maximum 7 wires and provides for either W1 or W2 connecting to the AUX terminal, but not these wires going to separate terminals.

Any advice for a frustrated electrical engineer?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Your old thermostat was set up for 3 stage heat. Y stage one, w1 stage two, one bank of electric heat strips and w2 stage three the second bank of electric heat strips. The white or the black will work for the aux heat just cap off the one you don't use. You can also put your black and white wire together to bring on all banks of electric heat in second stage. Warmer supply temp but it cost more to operate.
    sunson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 12:11 PM
    The wire color axialcompressor mentioned was wrong, I almost burn my transformer.
    The correct one is following:

Wire Color - Old Thermostat Terminal
    Red - R
    Org - O
    Yel - Y
    Grn - G
    Brn - E <<<!!
    Blu - C <<<!!
    Wht - W1
    Blk - W2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Wiring Thermostat Honeywell 8320U to Furnace-heat pump Trane XE78+XE1000 Combo [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following systems, each set is functional and individually controlled by two separate Trane Weathertron BAYSTAT240 thermostats. Set 1: Trane Weathertron: BAYSTAT240 Heat side Trane XE78: TUD080C936A1 (Date: 02/1993) Cooling side Trane XE78: TXCO36C4HPB0 (date H06) Heat...

Replacing old heat pump thermostat with Honeywell RTH3100C [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump with auxiliary and emergency heat. My current thermostat is a Seco TA-2000 with the following wiring configuration: B W2 X R G and a piece of wire connected between E and W2. There's also an orange wire that's not connected to the thermostat. The Honeywell manual does not...

Honeywell RTH 7400 Thermostat wiring for Heat Pump (Rheem) [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a Honeywell RTH 7400 Tstat to the existing Rheem HVAC in my house. Currently using Rheem thermostat that came with the house (non-programmeable, using mercury tubes). Heating is provided by a heat pump as well as Natural gas furnace for aux heating (besides the air...

Honeywell RTH7400 wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I got a new honywell RTH7400. I need help wiring up the unit. I just had a new Cold air central heating and A/C unit installed. It's electric heat and I need help with the wiring of the new honeywell RTH7400 5-1-1 control unit. Wires: Green Yellow White Black Red Orange

View more questions Search