Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jiwon_84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2003, 06:13 PM
    ASTR SOS!
    ASTR SOS! Need help to prepare for test! Please help me try to answer the following 3 questions:

1) You awake at sunrise and watch the heavens for several hours, allowing you to quickly amass the following information A) The Sun rose due east that morning. Winter has just ended. B) The Sun is on your southern meridian w/ an altitude of 44 degrees. C) The Moon is a waning crescent, but the sky is too cloudy to have seen stars. D) The UT clock reads 17:00.

a) what is your latitude? b) what is your longitude?

2) We see the shadow of the Earth on the moon during an eclipse and estimate that the earth is about 3 times as large as the moon. The moon has an apparent angular diameter of 0.5 degrees. Eratosthenes had determined the Earth's circuference to be 4.2 *10 ^4 km.

a) compute the diameter of the Earth and Moon in km b) compute the distance to the moon. In km and multiples of earth's radius. c) since the sun is nearly the same angular size as the moon, and using the correct value that the sun is ~ 3.9*10^2 times further from the earth than the moon, what is the distance to and radius of the sun? In km and earth radii

**I've been trying to use the alpha= (d/R) (360 degrees/ 2pi) formula but I keep getting stuck. ** would d represent the half circumference of the moon? I'm confused.

3) solar eclipse. You are standing on the earth's equator and the full shadow of the moon just begins to sweep over you.

a) draw a diagram showing the sun, the moon, and the surface of the earth. Show where you are on the diagram. c) calculate the orbital speed of the moon (in km/hr) given that the sidereal month is 27.3 days and that radius of the moon's orbit is 3.84*10^4 km. d) figure out the speed of the edge of the lunar shadow on the surface of the earth.
    jiwon_84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2003, 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    Hi everyone.. it seems like there's nobody on these forums but anyhow, I actually ended up solving these problems on my own. I appreciate an effort that anybody put. I was just looking for people to provide any input as to how I could have solved these problems. If you guys would like to check your answers with mine feel free to contact me. Bye!

;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search