Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrr Posts: 91, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Upgrading to another computer - Cloning/Ghosting?
    Could someone give me a walkthrough to how to upgrade to a new computer, whilst keeping the exact data from the old hard drive. I will need to clone/ghost one hard drive onto another. Will I have to uninstall drivers for the old computer before I clone it? I'll also need some free software for ghosting/cloning. I have all the cables needed, so don't worry about that. Thank you in advance, RrR.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 10:17 AM
    When I upgrade to a new computer I always simply save my data from the old and do fresh installs of my programs on the new one. I'll burn a DVD or CD with all the data I want to keep (makes a great backup as well). Then I make a list of the applications I had that I want to keep/reinstall.

Cloning/ghosting would only work if you had pretty much the same hardware devices on both computers which is unlikely since I assume your new computer has better, different hardware.

Feb 22, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Hmm, the hardware part is easy to fix, I already said I got this worked out. But what I really want is not to loose all my settings!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
    What settings?
    Do you know that your newly cloned computer may not boot at all due to too many hardware issues?

Feb 22, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Thus, uninstalling the drivers. The settings I want to keep: Skins for xp, savefiles (A royal pain in the *** to find and copy) configurations for xp, registries etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone for cloning? [ 87 Answers ]

Yes, cloning is illegal, but if it were to be legalised, who would, or would not be against it being legalised, and why? (or why not)

Computer upgrading... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there guys you know I really want to know how to upgrade my PC...

Benefits of improving upgrading computer lab [ 1 Answers ]

What are the benefits of upgrading a school computer lab?

Human Cloning, Yes or No? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm about to have a debate in one of my classes at school and the subject I got was about human cloning. Now I was raised in a church and was taught that God is the only one that can give or take life away. But, I know that not everyone believes in the Bible, so I want to know where people stand....

Upgrading school computer lab [ 1 Answers ]

How can I upgrade my school lab with a budget of about $23750 dollars U.S. This includes networking, internet, new desks etc... I want at least a 2.5 GhZ although they don't come in processor speeds or that but basically anything close. Also I want 512 MB of RAM for 24 computers. There is no...

View more questions Search