Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasper37 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Chevy mote carlo
    I recentrly replaces a radiator on my 1995 chevy motecarlo 3.1 engine the issue that I am having is that the low coolant light on the dash board comes on and off periodically I check the level of the coolant and it is normal why is it the low coolant light in the dash board keeps coming on and off.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 09:24 AM
    The coolant level sensor in the overflow tank is bad. Go to GM; the part itself shouldn't be more than $20-30.

Feb 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
    [QUOTE=this8384]The coolant level sensor in the overflow tank is bad. Go to GM; the part itself shouldn't be more than $20-30.[/QUOT

Is this common to happen, do the sensors normally go bad when you change a radiator?
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Not when you change the radiator, but the sensors themselves go bad quite frequently. Odds are that GM will have at least 1 already in stock because it's such a common failure part.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 07:03 AM
    DESCRIPTION
    This lamp will be illuminated when engine coolant level in the radiator drops below a predetermined level. To turn lamp off, check cooling system, then add coolant to bring system to proper level.
    After doing service on the cooling system, it is crucial that all the air is bled from the cooling system.

Diagnosis W/ Low Coolant Indicator On W/coolant level OK:

Name:  1.gif
Views: 946
Size:  11.0 KB
    Name:  1a.gif
Views: 721
Size:  7.7 KB
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Not accurate. The sensor is mounted into the radiator.
    So I was right about the diagnosis, just not the location... want to go half-sies? *lol*
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Specifics. We must have specifics. One wrong word will throw everybody off and disagrees start flyin'. Lol

Feb 27, 2008, 08:53 PM
    DESCRIPTION
    This lamp will be illuminated when engine coolant level in the radiator drops below a predetermined level. To turn lamp off, check cooling system, then add coolant to bring system to proper level.
    After doing service on the cooling system, it is crucial that all the air is bled from the cooling system.

Diagnosis W/ Low Coolant Indicator On W/coolant level OK:

Name:  1.gif
Views: 946
Size:  11.0 KB
    Name:  1a.gif
Views: 721
Size:  7.7 KB

The bleeder on this vehicle is broken, is there any other way to bleed the radiator?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kasper37
    the bleeder on this vehicle is broken, is there any other way to bleed the radiator?
    Without that bleeder functioning, purging the system will be difficult.
    You may find this funnel useful in reducing the amount of trapped air:

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 20798
Size:  8.7 KB

Lisle LIS22150 Coolant Funnel w/ Radiator Fill Adapters LIS22150 Automotive Cooling System Service Tools

Mar 21, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Without that bleeder functioning, purging the system will be difficult.
    You may find this funnel useful in reducing the amount of trapped air:

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 20798
Size:  8.7 KB

Lisle LIS22150 Coolant Funnel w/ Radiator Fill Adapters LIS22150 Automotive Cooling System Service Tools

Ok, well the reason that the low coolant light was illuninated was because the replaced radiator was defective, I replaced it with another one I also replaced the bleeder pipe so now I could bleed the line, however now it seems to me that the cooling fan is not coming on, I made sure that the wires were connected but I have not seen the fan come on, the temperature gage is not showing that is over heating but I feel that the engine is very hot, and like I said I have not seen the fan come on at all. What did I do wrong?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 09:40 AM
    I don't think you did anything wrong... yet. You're just not done... yet.

The cooling fans operate from a coolant temp sensor, but not the same one that controls the gauge on the dash.
    Without the A/C on, the fans aren't supposed to come on until the coolant temp at that sensor reaches 230° F.

If the temp gauge isn't indicating an overheat (into the red) then you may not have reached the temp that enable those fans on. And you probably won't sitting at idle, unless it's mid-summer in the south and you don't have the A/C on.

If you seriously want to see if the fans will come on from temperature only, you need to hold the idle high enough and long enough for the coolant temp to reach that spec. It's going to seem extremely hot before they do.

I think if you are confident that you've thoroughly purged the air and the cooling system is full, just drive the car as you normally would and keep an eye on the temp gauge for the first few days or so to see if the temp does wander too high. I'm hoping you're just nervous about the repairs and simply being overly cautious. Let me know...
    Grayson301 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Welp Kasper first tings first ,the low coolant sensor is a known item to go bad as that I repair vechicals for a living.. 23 years worth of it.. I can tell you know that sensor has cost folks a many a towing bill because it uses a 5 volt v-ref that's generated out of the pcm , when the sensor DIES it shorts out the 5 volt out of the pcm and causes a no start.. for this reason I tell you just unpulg it and then make a weekly routine of checking the fluids once a week.
    Now
    This system will bleed itself even if the bleeder will not open. Just run it in 7 minute cycles with a 2 min. pause between the run cycles
    The Cooling fan WILL NOT come on till the vehical reaches 223 plus degrees. Therefore a antifreeze mix is needed since water BOILS at 212 degrees.
    When the cooling fan does come on around 223 it will stay on till it reaches 212-217 degrees
    So yes the vehical does run on the hot side. Just remember that when you think of opening a radiator cap on a hot engine... silvadine rubs on fresh burns is no fun

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 chevy monte carlo shifter linkage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to reconnect the floor shifter to the transmission, which was connected and worked before. The floor shifter inside will not move the cable underneath the car. I can see where the cable comes through the floor, there's not much cable and I don't see any damage to it. It's connected...

Monte carlo [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change the fuel pump in my 2000 monte carlo

Excel Monte Carlo Simulation [ 0 Answers ]

One of the problems with derivative pricing models is that it assumes volatility is strictly proportional, so that if the stock price doubles, we assume that the volatility of the asset price will double as well. However, empirical tests suggest that the volatility doesn't?t go up as much as our...

View more questions Search