Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesserbd123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Budgie (parakeet) breeding
    Does a pair of parakeet need to be in a nesting box in order to breed?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 07:43 AM
    <moved from Art to Other Pets & Animals>
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Mar 1, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Hi, in answer to your questions,
    No they don't need a nestbox to breed, however if planning on breeding them you stand more chance of getting eggs this way, it isn't unknown though for them to lay on the floor or seed trough , but doing it this way usually ends in fatality of the chicks or eggs due to bacterial problems on the eggs that the chick then gets infected with,

Birds also mate for fun and not just production, so chances are if they are mating without a nestbox you may not see any eggs at all,
    If you want them to breed add a nestbox and feed eggfood and greenfoods in with their normal diet and add a bit of extra calcium to help egg production... give them a mist bath everyday for around 2 weeks and this will help stimulate, also add willow twigs for them to chew on as this will help also...
    If you have any more questions and I'm not around you can get hold of me on UK Birdkeepers Message Board (Powered by Invision Power Board) :)
    Always happy to help :)
    Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Budgie is dying. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 6 years old female budgie that I really love,and five days ago we found out she had a tumor around her intestine.. We went to the vet for help but the doctor said he can't do anything and didn't give me any advice.It's been almost a week and she has problem breathing and eating.She is...

Parakeet with lead poisoning? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hey everyone!I'm dealing with a serious situation. I have two parakeets, a girl and a boy. However I never raised parakeets before and I'm concerned because not only have my birds been fighting every five seconds but my girl parakeet turned black the other day and then green again. Also...

Not sure what is wrong with my parakeet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a parakeet that has been just laying around on the bottom of his cage today. I noticed when he finally got up onto his perch that his right foot is stiff. I'm worried because my last parakeet just laid around on the bottom of the cage before he died, but he didn't have a stiff foot. ...

View more questions Search