Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jay1pizza Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Wood joist repair and termite damage
    Hi,this is a two part question concerning home repair.My mom has had an under the home inspection.This is a 1 level 700 square feet home.There has been some termite infestation.
    The floor sagging depth is an 1 1/2 to the middle rear of home.Kitchen and adjacent bedroom is affected.The kitchen is 13x12 and bedroom is 12x12.The wood joist are
    sagging due to age and slight termite damage.There is not major damage on these
    spans or significant rot.The sill plates on the foundation wall consist of 3 2x4 stacked
    against each other side by side upstraight,and the woodjoist are notched on the
    end sitting on a 2x4.. I do not know what kind of floor system this is.All joist seem
    to have good stability on the notched ends with no signicant defect.But many of the
    boards have red dust termite trails almost all the length of the joist but no significant decay.
    1 joist is damage and has a crack all the way through due to shoddy carpenter or
    someone attempting to level without skills.
    There is an indentation of a hydraulic jack screw top that was place directly underneath
    the joist and someone tried to jack it.The crack is from bottom to within
    2 inches of top.Should this be braced up before sistering or sistered befored jacking
    up to level it? I am thinking it will break if jacked up then sistered?
    Should all the wood joist be sistered or just the ones in sagging spot and/or should
    they all be replaced sinced the termite trails are on them?
    If they can be sistered,do they have to all the way and be notched as the original or
    can a length be attached and fitted over the beam.
    The plan is to install extra long beam support on post probably running from wall to wall.
    1 or 2 joist on opposite span sides looks as if they want to twist inward?
    The home inspector also said to tear down a 10x10 storage house that has rot due to
    no trenching and grade of lot need to be repaired.He said this is a breeding ground
    for the entire property and needs to be removed before have property treated for
    termites.The crawlspace is also very damp on one side? There also seem to be
    header damage under the front door beneath it going all the way across ate out
    by termites and has cause the front door to swank with finger space underneath it?
    Can this be all remedy are will it be reasonbly expensive? I will like to do
    as much as I can with some helpers and let professional come in and oversee the rest?

Check out some similar questions!

Rot and termite resistant wood [ 3 Answers ]

What are the 2 types of termite and rot resistant wood?

Termite damage in crawl space [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace flooring in bathroom because of termite damage. My question is that my floor joist are wood I beams can I sister them with other lumber or how do I repair damaged areas? The entire joist is not damaged I am hoping I that only the flooring is only damaged.

Hair damage in need of repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dyeing my hair since I was 16 years old, I'm now 20. I first started with blond highlights and a dark brown base, then I changed it to a dark red, then dark brown, and currently it is a reddish brownish color that I don't like, but I don't want to dye it again. My hair is so damaged...

Termite damage in beam supporting floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

Termites got into the end of a beam supporting the floor joists in a crawl space under the first floor. I think I can use floor jacks and termporary beams on either side of the damaged beam to support the floor, then cut our the damaged beam. It is about 8 ft from the concrete foundation wall to...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.