Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Feb 21, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Is chewing gum bad for you?
    Is chewing gum bad for you?
    If so,
    In what ways? I know it can make you gasy but that's about it.
    I chew gum A lot

Well not A lot but if you think about it people chew it a lot. I don't know why, its just chew chew chew chew chew and people love it.
    Haha
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
    It has some adverse effects on your teeth... by pushing it and moving it here and there.

If it's sugary gum, it can cause a cavity

Also, when you chew, you're telling your body that you're eating (technically) which makes the stomach and intestines to start churning to get ready to digest the food... if you chew all day, your intestines + stomach will constantly churn and will eventually lead to GI problems such as ulcers.

Good thing is, chewing will trigger saliva production which then kills bad breath and helps clean your mouth and promote healthy teeth/gums.

Feb 21, 2008, 11:57 PM
    =D
    So...
    Chewing gum for maybe 30 minutes shouldn't be bad right?
    I used to chew for hours and hours but I got worried haha
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 11:59 PM
    If anything, choose sugar-free gum to avoid cavities... but then people worry about cancer (sugar substitutes).

Parents are worried that their children's teeth will develop badly if they chew too much while they're growing up... but hey, what are braces for?

Feb 22, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Hahaaa

Yeah Im making up for all the abuse I put my teeth through with surgery and braces.

W0000 Go me!
    =x
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Feb 22, 2008, 03:23 PM
    I don't think it does much harm, but more people than you probably think find gum chewing irritating. Movie makers use a gum chewing girl as a stereotype for someone socially inept... or at least it seems that way to me.

Maybe your 30 minutes ought to be when you are alone?

Feb 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Hahah yea like the snobby girls, always curling their hair and what not

I believe gum was invented in Staten Island
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Just don't swallow it, or your intestines will stick together.

Feb 22, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Haha hmm.. I think (can be wrong) maybe that's false... I think it juts digests or passes out of you when you go poo poo.
    Sexy Guy Ohio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Chewing gum is horrible on 3 levels, 2 of which are already mentioned. Bed for teeth movement and tooth decay.
    Bad for your stomach because your body is expecting food when none is there. Stomach acid produced will cause ulcers and much worse down the line, as your stomach lining is torn up.
    And 3rd, essentially a neverous "tick" "something to do" like biting on nails, pencils, or even smoking. These are developed habits which can increase in nature.. like smoking, or drinking or maybe just being a hyper person who "always has to be doing something"
    My advice is limit how often and only after you eat.

Feb 22, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Oh I never knew about that last one Thanks for the info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Chewing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my five month old kitten keeps chewing up everything! She chewed I don't know how many wires in my house! I don't know what to do to make her stop. Please let me know if anyone has an idea. I would love to hear it! Thank you!

Tail chewing [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 month old beagle mix chewed half of his tail off tonight! I don't think he broke the skin, just almost all the hair that he could reach. It looks like someone took a razor to it. Help, please; any ideas as to why he's doing this and what I need to do in order to stop it? Some background...

Chewing gum... [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, if it isn't can one of the mods move it. I had a question about chewing gum. What do you think about it? I heard many benefits of chewing gum. Although I also heard of some negative aspects of gum chewing, they weren't as many... :)

6 year old has bad chewing habit [ 2 Answers ]

My younger daughter ( who by the way just had her 6th birthday) has started chewing on things like her fingers and anything made of plastic I have to constantly tell her to take them out of her mouth and snatch them from her. I thought that was supposed to be a stage they passed when they were much...

View more questions Search