Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Feb 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Clarification Before I Buy
    OK.. Just getting some last minute advice before I run out and spend money lol. I am running a line out to a detached building. It will be coming out of a 200 amp service into a 60 amp breaker sub panel. I will use 6-3 w/gnd (Underground w/ conduit) to do this as well as #6 to run from the ground rod into the sub panel. Neutral and ground will be separated inside the panel in the building with the equipment ground buss attached to the panel with machine screws. Does all this sound correct? Do I have it right this time lol.

Couple other things just because I am curious.

1). Can I or Can I not use the ground rod already installed for my main at the meter? If I don't have to pound another 8 feet, I don't want to.

2). Is there a difference is using a copper ground rod as opposed to a galvanized one. I seen both here in Lowe's and I was wondering which is better to use in this application.

TIA!!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 04:34 PM
    1) No. The rod at the main is not acceptable. You MUST have another at a detached structure with a sub-panel.
    Also, the ground in the 6/3UF is fine for an equipment ground. You do NOT need another #6 ground between buildings.
    You DO however need a #6cu wire from the sub-panel to the new ground rod.

2) No real difference unless your soil is very corrosive.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Feb 21, 2008, 06:09 PM
    OK> guess I'm dropping in another rod. I didn't think I could use the same one, but worth a shot loll.

I was hoping the #6 would work for the ground rod, since I'm running #6 out there to the building, I'm sure ill have some left over to use for the grounding rod up to the sub panel.

Thanks
    Mike:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cotangent clarification [ 1 Answers ]

My equation is this y = cot x This was a sample question in my online review. I have all the x's as x1 = 0, x2= pi/8, x3= pi/4, x4= 3pi/8, x5= pi/2, x6= 5pi/8, x7= 3pi/4, x8= pi. These are all in the lesson plan. The y's are as follows y1= domain, y2= 2.41, y3= 1, y4 = 0.41, y5 =...

Tax clarification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any...

Form W7 clarification [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B here starting Oct 1 06. And my wife and daughter have joined me Oct 16. And they will be going back to india for a period of 4 months at end of nov 06. I asked question about taxes in my case and got the reply of I can get all my tax refund for this year after filing tax return....

Form W4 - clarification [ 3 Answers ]

I was in USA for 3 months in 2005 (july to Sep) as a Non resident Alien. At that time I claimed Allowances/Exemptions - 2 in my payroll. I have again come to USA in January, 2007. Now my employer is telling me to submit the W4 Form with Allowances/Exemptions -1. On both the occasions, I had a L1...

Rough-in Clarification [ 1 Answers ]

I have a three-level townhouse, built ~1998, which has a rough-in half-bath on the ground level (all finished walls with lighting and exhaust fan). There are two pipes--one (1) 4" pipe in the concrete floor for the toilet; one (1) 2" pipe in the wall for the sink. (NOTE: Opposite that wall is...

View more questions Search