Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldbender Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 01:22 PM
    12 year leak on steep roof
    I am losing my mind with this. I live in the hurricane zone of the Gulf of Mexico. My house is 12 years old with a very steep roof lines with a fireplace. I purchased the house when it was three yrs old. The inspection indicated that the roof needed to be reflashed. This was completed. Less than two years afar moving in I had another leak at the south corner of the fireplace, down the wall and onto the floor. Got flashed again, repaired wall and less than two years later the same thing. When the hurricane cause me to get a new roof I thought my troubles were over Less than two years the same leak only worse. A friend went into the attic and saw that the decking was bad near the fireplace. Found that the decking had rotted under the cricket. This time it was discovered that the house had been leaking since it was build the 2x4 were rotted from top to bottom plus some cross 2x4s. Replaced wall 2x4s insulaltion, drywall. Well three month later another leak. However this time the water was not coming down the wall but dripping from the center of the front of the fireplace onto the hearth. Called yet another roofer who says the only thing that he could think of was that after looking at the bricks that appeared soaked on the south side of the chimney that we could try sealing the bricks. He said this leak was less severe as it was not coming down the wall. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 02:23 PM
    I'd say take some pictures and use the "go advanced" tap to post.

Probably the roof should have been installed with an ice and water shield.

Flashing may not be installed properly, but we need some pics.

I do want to ask something: Is the attic vented? Are any of the vents closed off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney or Roof Leak? [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a mid-terraced house with a brick chimney. My next-door neighbour has advised me that he has damp/water running down his upstairs wall, and he claims that a builder/roofer has advised him that my chimney is leaking. However, I have no water/damp on the walls or...

Screen Room roof leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old screen roof that has a insulated roof system. Since this roof faces the east in the hot Florida sun there is plenty of expansion and contraction. The room continues to leak each time it rains. It has been suggested that due to the pitch of that roll roofing be applied to...

How to find and repair leak from roof or skylight [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed some water streaks on the wall below one of my skylights in the ensuite. Also, there is a bit of a bulge in the drywall on this same wall. I'm not sure if it is the skylight or my cedar shake roof. How do I determine where this leak is from and how do I repair it?

Roof Leak/Homeowner Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I am a first time home buyer. A single mom working for Wells Fargo. I purchased my home about 6 months ago. My bedroom ceiling collapsed. The roof of my house leaks. I paid to have this house inspected before I could purchase it. I paid for homeowners insurance. My payments are current. ...

View more questions Search