Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Feb 25, 2008, 09:07 PM
    okay, did a bit of research on acrylpro site and this is what I learned.. ANSI (American Standard Specifications for the Installation of Ceramic Tile) is an organization that sets-up performance standards for mortars designed to set ceramic tile. A mortar meeting A118.1 is an unmodified, dryset mortar that doesn't contain a polymer. Unmodified mortars are adequate for basic tile jobs such as a residential floor over concrete or a wall tile job when setting ceramic tile. For more demanding installations a polymer-modified mortar is required. Polymer-modified mortars meet ANSI A118.4 standards. You can use a mortar that is already polymer-modified (latex is in the powder) or an unmodified mortar and a liquid latex additive that is used in place of the water requirement. Installations requiring a polymer-modified mortar are when setting porcelain tile or large tile over 12” x 12”, in wet areas, high traffic areas, exterior installations, commercial installations, surfaces that could be subject to minor movement, installing tile over vinyl flooring, plastic laminates or other hard to bond surfaces or setting tile over a waterproof membrane. Installing tile directly over exterior grade plywood requires a mortar with special bonding capabilities, so these installations require a mortar that meets A118.11 standards. Also, the mastic although may seem to meet the requirements for ceiling tiling, isn't better than the polymer-modified mortar I am using.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 10:01 AM
    You are well on your way to becoming a tiling pro. Seems like you have some great skill expanding projects going on. Good luck, Bob

Feb 26, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Thank you Bob for helping me too! Maybe I might do this for a living! If the money is there! Lol.. nah, I'm a handyman by trade, bonded and insured, very slow this time of year! Just trying to do my best with each project going forward! Today call laticrete and spoke with support about the expoxy grout.. also asked him if the 1500 sand modified poly grout ( 25lb. Bag) is okay to use in the upper portion of the upstairs bathalcove.. he suggested I first use a sealer/allow to dry prior to grouting these rialto stone tiles. Also to sealant the 1500 grout after a few days too. The expensive apoxy groutplus I will surely use on the 1st floor project knowing the moisture situation, 75 bucks for 3 units should do it,will certainly go small on the grout lines too downstairs project. You have a good day sir!

Feb 26, 2008, 03:17 PM
    I have had a few problems with laticrete. It's a 3 part expoxy and not fun to blend. Once blended you have about 40 minutes before it quickly reacts and sets up. The first 15 minutes the stuff is too runny for 1/4" wall lines, then you have about 15 minutes of perfect consistency, after that its starting to set. I switched to a pre-mixed strainproof grout that air dries in an hour, it has body right out of the can but its no cheaper.

Feb 26, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Bob I read you, I wasn't too thrilled watching the video demo on their site showing the A/B epoxies being squeezed out and these units needing a part C (sand color mix) that is quart sized.. you mentioned you use stainproof grout premixed for about the same price.. this is 2.5 lb carton of sand with a two part epoxy at 25 bucks!. I would much more be satified with the product you are using, Traffic Master you say it's like 25 bucks a gallon ? That still is a lot cheaper compared to 25 dollar quart mixing 3 units of grout! Lol thanks ahead!

Feb 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
    $25 per 3.5lbs tub, not a gallon. I have most of my stuff out at a job that I won't see until Saturday. I have used TrafficMaster with success but this other grout is different and I can't remember the name at the moment. I will in a day or two, age thing. I have a few 25 lbs door stops orf that 3 part expoxy, works well as a boat anchor too. That latricrete is like pudding when you mix part 1 & 2 but when you add the sand it gets like a very stiff mortar but it is very elastic and can sag for about 15 minutes, makes a messy verticle grout line.

Feb 26, 2008, 05:26 PM
    I'm going with whatever you say at this point.. remember a few tile dropping because my thinset was to wet.. I want easiest solution for the ceiling , I will wait for your product.. I did read up on the traffic master sold at the home depots.. but if you know of something else you like using even better please let me know! I will gladly wait for you to post it in a few days.. I am in no real rush yet.. thanks again for sharing your skills and expertise bob, look forward to getting this job finished so I can do some fishing! Been a weird winter and only did one ice fishing trip upstate ny.

Feb 26, 2008, 05:38 PM
    You can set your tiles in the modified thinset and grout next week. I'm going to be getting some supplies tomorrow or Thursday and will check on the grout product name. We have had more than double the average snow here in Chicago. I'm sick of this white stuff. Ice fishermen had a big bond fire out on the lake in front of my cabin. They were warmed by the fire and what was in their bottles.

Feb 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Yeah, lots of snow, clouds moving in and a lot of snw predicted here too... not doing so good business wise, but getting back to my home project in the bathrooms, downstairs still on hold due to order of vanity fixtures etc. can't do the tub yet either so all tiling is on hold. Upstairs is pretty much dome cept for grouting and outside alcove molding or bullnose. A question I have is that I did the ceiling first starting slightly inside the ceiling and was wondering should I have started the dropcieling bullnose first and pertruding the ceiling tile underneath the bullnose? Or being as it is, and as I see best, finish it with a composite detailed trim casing instead of tile to trim this outside line prior caulking with sand grout tube caulk? I have both materials here and think the casing looks better finished and will certainly be a lot easier than trying to hang this bullnose.

Feb 29, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Man if you could show me a picture or drawing I/m sure I'd get what you said. However, reading your description was more than difficult for me. I guess I have difficulty what I read, sorry Jon. visualizing

Feb 29, 2008, 08:00 PM
    No need for apoligy and it is me not you,lol I read it and have a hard time understanding it too!. let me ask this.. did I do right by tiling the ceiling first/backwall second and both shorty walls last as I did saving the bullnose or preferred trim work outside of tub alcove enclosure? My meaning was that if you could picture the drop ceilings corner bead ( parallel with where the shower curtain rod would be on the alcove) would you have deliberately overhung the ceiling tile to accept a bullnose in thickness or ran the tile as I did flush with the corner bead of the drop ceiling? Eitherway, there is a seem to caulk, in my case the seem on the outside corner will be on the ceiling side.. the detailed trim casing will be the fascia sort of speak. No digital pic sorry.. roger one over?.

Mar 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Your sequence of install was fine. There are some rules for tiling but what it all comes down to is making it look good to your eye. I usually do the ceiling first so the seam is on the wall and not the ceiling, I want to see that last seam. I do the side walls second so the seam is on the back wall, I want to see it. No hard fast rule just what looks best to the home owner. I also make the seam between the bull nose and the next tile directly where the shower door side rails will be screwed into the wall, less ceramic drilling to install the rails.

Mar 2, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Ballenger, today grouted the upstairs shower bath ceiling alcove with the bag modified sand grout laticrete 1500. Also went with the designer molding just above ceiling tile outside alcove.. butted level to tile with just enough reveal for the almond sand caulking. A few days I'll seal the grout lines. It was a bit of pain in the neck , was sure to make a dry mix and needed the hawk to catch what fell when using the grout sponge. A lot of spongwashing for this stone porcelain tile. Wish I did have digital pic for you cause it came out pretty good. Grout lines a little heavy but downstair alcove will certainly go 1/16 spacers inside the wet area. Floor I'll go 3/8. oh thanks again

Mar 2, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Hey Jon, here is that grout I have been using. You can also get a perfectly matching chaulk for shower stalls and seams. TEC intros new AccuColor Grout and Caulk colors. (Products). | National Floor Trends | Find Articles at BNET.com Looks like I' m a bit late with the info but it is still worth knowing about.

Mar 5, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Ballenger, Still waiting on the vanity, can't proceed with any phase of project until the wall plumbing is revamped for different size vanity.. going from double sink 60" to a 48" single, so the plumber will come once this orderis in with the matching shower faucets/diverter. Meanwhile, thank you for the grout recommendation, will certainly look for it over here!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ThinSet Premix or Powder? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to tile a small bathroom floor. Is the premixed thin set as good as mixing the powder up? Thanks

Removing Thinset from Concrete Floor Slab [ 2 Answers ]

I removed my Tile from a bathroom and the thiset under it will not come up off the concrete floor slab. I don't want to build up the floor much so putting a cement based leveler isn't an option except maybe to even it up a little bit. Anyone have any ideas of how to remove it? I've been chiseling...

Can thinset fill joints in durock that are not tight or level? [ 1 Answers ]

I bit off more than I could chew and it has been a nightmare. :eek: I failed to notch my studs to accommodate my shower pan liner and of course the Durock has a bulge and the joints are not as snug as I would like them to be. I also drove some of my screws too far causing some damage to the...

New flooring over old mastic [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I removed old vinyl tiles in my basement. I am left with the old black mastic on my cement floors and wood stairs leading down into basement. I have had a few estimates on removal and I get different opinions from them. I have received estimates for the mastic removal of $1000 to...

Can thinset be sanded off plywood? [ 3 Answers ]

I've removed old tile and hardibacker from my plywood subfloor. There is still some thinset stuck to the plywood. Since we are installing hardwood in this location, it needs to be smooth. Can the thinset be sanded? Any particular type of paper recommended? Thanks!

View more questions Search