Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neilpollick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2004, 08:29 AM
    using AC/DC transformer with flash gun

I have a pro flash gun (Toshiba ES-38L) which is powered by 6 AA batteries arranged in series.
    The voltage across the positive and negative terminals is therefore 9 volts.

It eats up batteries and I would like to use it with an AC/DC transformer.

I have such a transformer, a variable voltage output that includes a 9 volt setting.
    It gives a REGULATED supply, it is rated 1400mAh.

If I used this unit to supply DC power across the terminals that the batteries connect to (assuming the batteries are out!) would it cause any long term damage to the unit?

(I have tried it already and it powered the unit fine and recharged more quick, although the sound it made was different to when it powers up using the AA batteries - the sound was less smooth).
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2004, 02:50 AM
    It is OK to use a regulated power supply instead of batteries. That is, if it really is a regulated supply.
    If it is, then the difference in noise you notice is probably due to the internal resistance of the batteries (resulting in a voltage drop when loaded).
    If it is not, the output voltage of the regulator may be higher than what is set, and it may be chopped. In both cases you may eventually damage the flash gun.
    winopen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 01:18 AM
    Toshiba es 38-L
    Quote Originally Posted by neilpollick

I have a pro flash gun (Toshiba ES-38L) which is powered by 6 AA batteries arranged in series.
    The voltage across the positive and negative terminals is therefore 9 volts.

It eats up batteries and I would like to use it with an AC/DC transformer.

I have such a transformer, a variable voltage output that includes a 9 volt setting.
    It gives a REGULATED supply, it is rated 1400mAh.

If I used this unit to supply DC power across the terminals that the batteries connect to (assuming the batteries are out!) would it cause any long term damage to the unit?

(I have tried it already and it powered the unit fine and recharged quicker, although the sound it made was different to when it powers up using the AA batteries - the sound was less smooth).
    Hi.
    Sorry to disturb you. I have the same version of your flash. I'm new with it and I'd
    Like to know any news to help me in using it.
    In particular It's nice if you know any website (links) about this flash and his
    Thecnical notes. Thanks a lot
    KarlB603 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2005, 08:45 PM
    I disagree with URMOD4U
    Quote Originally Posted by urmod4u
    It is OK to use a regulated power supply instead of batteries. That is, if it really is a regulated supply.
    If it is, then the difference in noise you notice is probably due to the internal resistance of the batteries (resulting in a voltage drop when loaded).
    If it is not, the output voltage of the regulator may be higher than what is set, and it may be chopped. In both cases you may eventually damage the flash gun.
    The AVAILABLE current is 1.4 amps. This does not mean that your power supply will force your flash to over-indulge and damage itself. The strobe will only use what it "needs" given it's input resistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

24 V Transformer Bad, No AC [ 2 Answers ]

One hot Summer day, My Central Air went out, but the fan continued to run even when the thermostat was turned off. The smell of burnt electrical wiring throughout the house. I removed the front cover of the air handler, unplugged the 120 VAC power cord and When I checked the circuit it was...

Help! Need help making movies with flash macromedia flash pro 8 [ 23 Answers ]

Help! I need to animate this movie sort of like a cartoon for example if I wanted a stick man ( example) and I want it to throw a stick then run. This is very hard because I make the man and I have to modify and modify every slide s the man can like move his hand. There must be an easier way. Need...

Transformer [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I've constructed a velleman amp, 2x30watt output, model K4003. Now to power this you need a 50Va transformer. I bought one and the pins along the input side are labelled 0 120 0 120 and the output 0 12 0 12

Transformer [ 3 Answers ]

What happens inside a transformer that increases or decreases the voltage?When a transformer steps up voltages,from where it creates thes voltages?

24v transformer bad [ 3 Answers ]

My 24v transformer is bad on my gas pack heat and ac unit. I replace the transformer 2 months ago... I replaced it again yesterday. This time it went bad in 4-hours. What is shorted to blow the transformer? Also, DC is used to pull the a/c and fan relays, right? Where is the 24v ac...

View more questions Search