Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ganesh_al Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Part Time / Full Time / Non - Resident - need clarification on this
    Hi,

I am an Indian Citizen. I came to US on L1 Visa on 20th October, 2007. I am trying to file the tax return through File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT.

There is a question : "Whether you are a part time resident / Full Time Resident or Non-Resident". I am not sure that under what category do I come?

Can anyone help me out in getting my residency status with respect to IRS rules.

Thanks
    Ganesh
    magicman2007 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 06:56 PM
    If you came to US for the first time on 20th October, 2007 then you have to file as Non-Resident (also known as Non Resident Alien)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
    You CANNOT use TacAct. You must file Form 1040NR (if you have moving expenses to claim with Form 3903) or Form 1040NR-EZ.

This assumes that you are single.

If you are married, let me know for additional options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full or part time resident of New York City? [ 2 Answers ]

I have maintained (and continue to maintain) my permanent residence in New Jersey for the last twenty years. I rented an apartment in New York City in April 2006. I work the great majority of my time in NYC. I stayed over night in New York City approximately 90 times in 2006. Am I a resident...

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

Part Time Versus Full Time [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the line for part time employment versus full time employment in Georgia. I can't find it anywhere!

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search