Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chickadee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills
    We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the auxiliary heat and I have changed it to economy. The system also seems very loud when it is running. Does anybody have any other suggestions, these electric bills are killing me off.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Is the heat pump is running as it should and the air filter is clean there is not much you can do to the system to make it run cheaper.

Lower thermostat setting
    Do not use emergency/aux heat
    Check all duct work for tightness and no leaks
    Make sure the heat pump is running as it should. (call the company that put it in)
    Look for air leaks in and around the house. Just because it is a new house means nothing today. Some new houses have many problems with HVAC since the contractor can cheat there and it will never be seen by the average person.
    Do not use a set back thermostat. It will cause the expensive emergency/aux heat to come on during the recovery process.
    Get on even billing to help round out your electric bill and spread the higher cost over the year.
    Your new house might be bigger than your old house. For every square foot of space you have to pay to heat so take that into consideration

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing electric heat to gas heat, live in tx. [ 2 Answers ]

I have just the opposite question,my electric bill ran up to $930.00 in jan. I'm wondering if I should be looking into converting it to gas. I do have gas for my fireplace, I'm not even sure if I can convert. Can I convert and is gas cheaper? I live in TX, can't afford 1k a month. Thanks for...

Advantages of converting from propane heat to electric heat for home use [ 1 Answers ]

When is it an advantage to convert from propane heat to electric heat in a residential home? Also could you give me a rough idea of what it costs to make this transition? Thank you. :confused:

$500! Electric bills// power -save 1200 any info? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been seaching for ways to save on electric bill over $500 a month last three months And looks to be that way a couple more. I ran across this Power-Save1200 web-site. Does anyone know if this works? Any other suggestions would be a great help.! going broke!

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

View more questions Search