Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    watrlt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
    default car lona
    My husband was taken by a car dealer. He has a 6 year loan for a 2004 Toyota Matrix that he has paid 1 year of and he still owes $20,000. He cannot afford to keep paying for the car. What options does he have? We jointly own a home, but he alone holds the loan for the car. Am I liable for his debt? If he defaults on the loan, what will happen?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Some will depend on the state you live in.

1. If the car is repo'ed, they sell the car, add repo costs and add legal fees. And subtract the money they get for the car. After that he will still owe the balance, and they can get a judgement. In some states they can garnish his wages, attach money in his bank accounts and more.
    And of course get a lien on his share of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Private car sales default [ 2 Answers ]

My husband bought and sold a car to a friend. Right after the car was paid off, it broke down. Total price for the car: $600.00. We sold this person one of our cars that we weren't using. Again, pmts were to be made until car was paid off. ($2200.00)The military transferred my husband to another...

Car Loan Default [ 11 Answers ]

I missed 2 payments on my car loan and avoided calls from the lender because I knew I would pay them soon, when I received a long awaited check-in-the-mail. I got that check on Thursday and went online to make payments yesterday, Saturday, and was told that my "account had been closed". I then...

Car loan default [ 1 Answers ]

I have to default on my car loan. I also have a co signer, the car is not running the engine has blown... I advised the insurance company of same... what are th elaws regarding this... is still repaying the loan my responsibility

Default on car loan [ 6 Answers ]

I am facing a serious situation.I had a car loan and then I gat into an accident.It was a hit and run and the police never found the people that hit me.Unfortunelty right before that, because of serious financial problems, I couldn t make my insurance payments.Now I received a call from a lawyer...

View more questions Search